Looking to replace my PP 295...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nola mike

Minister of Fire
Sep 13, 2010
Richmond/Montross, Virginia
Just so we know where I'm coming from...
I bought my Poulan Pro 295 used 5 years ago, and it's served me OK I guess. However, i'm getting tired of always messing with something to get it to work right. Replaced the carb after it still wouldn't work right, and it worked for maybe a couple of hours. Anyway, always reading through posts here, and I have a good idea of what I need:
1. The PP is 46cc with a 20" bar. It had plenty of power for me. In fact, if the damn thing were a little more reliable, I'd have no problems. I'm only cutting about 1-1.5 cord/year.
2. I think I'd rather go new/lower grade than used/higher grade.
3. I know everyone likes to push the pro level stuff here, but I really don't think I need it.
4. $300 would be my absolute max, and I'd like to keep it under that.
5. I think a 50cc with 18" bar that's a step up in quality would do the job, and would probably be light years ahead of what I'm used to, so I'd be happy.

Anything that will fit the bill here?

I know you're looking at 300 max, but I've got my eye the echo cs590. Around here there's a deal for $399 +tax including chaps and baseball hat and a case. It's a crazy deal....just waiting for my Christmas bonus. ;)

I'm not sure what the power specs are on your PP, but a MS251 should be a similar (probably more power, actually) saw. It's a hair over what you are looking to spend, though.

If you can truly get a CS590 with chaps, etc for the price listed above, that is what I would do. That saw has (guessing here) probably another hp of power to go along with it's ~14cc larger engine. It has a decomp valve, which nothing else in the sub $400 range will have (as far as I know) and it's other specs are more in line with something like the more expensive MS291 which might weigh a little less.

1-1.5 cords/yr is light duty...unless the rounds are all 36-48". CS590 is well respected but a little above your budget. I might go for it.The PP5020AV is known as a good firewood saw. They can be had new for $199. Or refurb for $129. Check out vminnovations. Decisions, decisions.

I'd consider that for xmas maybe--where is that?

Looks like a case of snooze and loose. I can't find the ad now. It was a place in London, Ontario that had the sale. Likely won't see a bonus until the end of next week I think. They have them for 399 just for the saw and case now.

Ian

Yeah, seems like the PP's are definitely frowned upon--don't know if the reliability is really that bad or not. Consumer reports rated the PP5020AV decently, and actually the 4818 scored about as well as the echo cs-400, stihl ms-291 and husq 445.

Status
Not open for further replies.