looking to upgrade insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steveboy

Oct 5, 2010
south jersey
I have been heating my house with a Glacier Bay insert since early 80's.I am thinking about taking advantage of tax credit and upgrading to new insert. Some have claimed they burn half as much wood with new stoves. Is that possible?
Will a new stove produce significantly more heat than my old stove? I have been looking at a Napoleon 1402. The old girl has done me well, is it time for her to go? Will an 8" liner make it more efficient? Any thoughts or suggestions.

While every situtation is different, many folks who went from using pre-EPA stoves to EPA stoves (with catalytic combustors or secondary combustion) have reported a dramatic reduction in the amount of wood they now use to keep their house as warm . . . if not warmer.

Happy with our 1402.

An 8" liner probably won't make a big difference in burning efficiency for the Glacier Bay and it would probably be oversized for a new insert. How big a space are you trying to heat?

I am heating a 1400 sq. ft. home located on Delaware river. We have to deal with some strong winds in the winter. One of my questions about the Napoleon 1402 is , how do the blowers circulate the air, off the sides of the stove or around the fire box like my Glacier Bay?

Status
Not open for further replies.