Looking to upgrade stove- looking for long burn cat stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bjorn773

Sep 12, 2007
Rockford, Illinois
I'm looking to replace my century stove. The baffle at the top is warped again(2nd time) and it seems like a good time to replace the whole unit. I burn 24/7 all winter, though we are away for work during the day. So I'm looking for the cleanest long burns I can find. From what I've read here a cat stove is my best option. The woodstock fireview and blazeking princess sound like good fits. I'm wondering about the soapstone over the long haul. How are they sealed and do I need to rebuild it every so many years. My stove is in the basement of an 1100 sq. ft. ranch, so I'm heating 2200 sq.ft. I circulate the heat with my gas furnace duct work with an extra blower and intake next to the stove. Any advise will be appreciated.

You will be pushing the Fireview to it's limits trying to heat that much from a basement. The Princess is a larger stove and probably a better fit. If you go to Woodstocks site they show the building of a Fireview.

Also check out Buck for some good size cat stoves.

bjorn773, for your information and for others who might have this question, the soapstone stove will not have to be rebuilt. There is always the possibility that you will need to reseal some seams and, of course, change gaskets but this is the same with all stoves. Woodstock now has a maintenance kit for the stoves which one can purchase. It has all anyone should need to maintain the stove and is well worth the dollars but is not needed for several years.

Heating a home from the basement is always a tough shot, especially if the basement is not insulated because the cement will soak up most of the heat. Also I've not heard many good reports from folks trying to circulate air with the furnace duct work.

Backwoods Savage said:
bjorn773, for your information and for others who might have this question, the soapstone stove will not have to be rebuilt. There is always the possibility that you will need to reseal some seams and, of course, change gaskets but this is the same with all stoves. Woodstock now has a maintenance kit for the stoves which one can purchase. It has all anyone should need to maintain the stove and is well worth the dollars but is not needed for several years.

Heating a home from the basement is always a tough shot, especially if the basement is not insulated because the cement will soak up most of the heat. Also I've not heard many good reports from folks trying to circulate air with the furnace duct work.
Thanks for the input. I fully realize that the basement situation is less than desirable, but it's what I have to work with. We supplement with forced air natural gas furnace. The current setup still keeps my gas bills below $50 a month, so I'm content with that. There is not a space with sufficient clearances upstairs and this way the mess stays in the basement. Wood is dropped from outside directly into the basement. Like I said, it works for us and we make the best of it. I do appreciate the fireview input.

Get a Blaze King and get it installed, winter is coming.

I think the thermostatic draft feature is one of the most overlooked parts of the BK stoves, and gives it the edge over other cat stoves for long burns in my opinion.

Have you considered an add-on furnace?

Good luck however you go with this. I hope you keep us posted on your progress.

I have considered an add-on furnace, but it would require moving the chimney to the opposite end of the house. Like I said, the current system has been working for us for the last seven years. I'm really looking for a direct replacement stove without major construction involved.

bjorn773 said:
I'm really looking for a direct replacement stove without major construction involved.

In that case, the Princess is a no-nonsense heating appliance with a big firebox, good burn control and a thermostat.

How does your ducting system work? Essentially another cold air return with a blower to help it along?

If it were me I would go with the blaze king, king model. You can really load it up and it is supposed to be able to burn on low for 40 hours. If you go with the smaller princess you will have to do more loading.

The only downside of the King is you need an 8" pipe.

Princess is 6, King is 8. I think there may be a few folks here that have tried the King with a 6 but not sure how it worked out in the long run.

SolarAndWood said:
bjorn773 said:
I'm really looking for a direct replacement stove without major construction involved.

In that case, the Princess is a no-nonsense heating appliance with a big firebox, good burn control and a thermostat.

How does your ducting system work? Essentially another cold air return with a blower to help it along?

I chopped down an old furnace, removing the heat exchanger. I mounted this behind a large intake in a wall about 4 feet from my stove. The output from this unit pushes into my existing ductwork. It works moderately well. Like I stated earlier, it's not ideal, but is functional. The bedrooms at the opposite end of the house need to be supplemented with the furnace to keep them comfortable. Even so, the gas bill stays pretty low with this setup. I burn about 3.5 cords a winter, 50% oak and 50% soft maple. The basement is not insulated, so there is definately loss there. I still have some water issues that have prevented me from finishing the basement. For now, I'll just have to cut a bit more wood.

Since you're using the stove as a furnace, the superior utility of the BK will be the winner. Where else can you find a medium large firebox, made of welded steel, cat for long low burns, and a thermostat to automatically regulate heat output. There is no routine rebuilding required for either the stone stoves or the BK, the door gaskets are it.

Get the BK and put it in soon. Be sure to shop the stores west of the river for better prices.

Highbeam said:
Get the BK and put it in soon. Be sure to shop the stores west of the river for better prices.

Thanks, I'll check in Iowa. The closest dealer is in Madison, WI. Maybe a longer drive will save me some bucks.

Does Fireside handle BK distribution everywhere east of the Mississippi? Doesn't make much sense for BK to ship stoves from WA to Fireside in NC, then back west to WI. Then again, I don't think having Fireside in the picture makes much sense. You know, GM spent some $ on market research to come up with Saturn's pricing policy. Apparently people don't care so much about the absolute price of a car. What they care about is buying a car, then finding out that their neighbor down the street got the same car for 20% less. That's basically what it's like to buy a BK on the east coast. F that!

Oh yeah, I agree with Burleymike. The larger firebox of the King would be better for a quasi-furnace application in the basement. You may want to also consider a few other cats: the Buck 91(4.4 cu ft) and Country Flame BBF(3.9 cu ft). All have an 8" flue. Country Flame is made somewhere in your neck of the woods, so finding a good deal might be easier than with BK. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.