Looking to upgrade stove, need advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebelduckman

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2013
Pulaski, Mississippi
Need some more advice guys, Ive come to realize the 17-vl I installed in December just isn't gonna be big enough to heat my house like I thought. I love the stove but it just doesn't have the firebox space and burn time I need. I'm sure I'll lose some money when I sell it but oh well. I like the guys at England so I'm thinking about the 13 nc but open to other suggestions. Need to stay under a grand. We have a 1000 sq ft single story poorly insulated house that's 80 years old. The living, dining and kitchen are open with 3 small bedrooms branching off. Also, what's the best way to go about selling a stove? Their not very popular in my neck of the woods so I may keep it awhile. Craigslist? eBay maybe? TIA

Last edited:
That would be an improvement but pay attention to the hearth requirements for the 13NC.I needs a lot of insulation. If that is an issue look at the PE TrueNorth TN19 or Super 27 which need ember protection only.

That would be an improvement but pay attention to the hearth requirements for the 13NC.I needs a lot of insulation. If that is an issue look at the PE TrueNorth TN19 or Super 27 which need ember protection only.

It requires a 2 r value. I left enough room for a bigger stove and am just on a temporary hearth now so shouldn't be a big problem. Would be nice to have a stove that just needs ember protection though!

Menards is running a sweet sale on some of Drolet stoves, maybe you can find something there you like

In the price range Englander, Drolet and True North stoves pretty much say it all. Any of them will get'er done.

After this winter selling a stove anywhere should be fairly easy.

I hope so, don't want to lose too much on it. I'd love to get 3-400 for it. I think that's fair, it's only 6 weeks or so old

You actually have an advantage selling it in an area that doesn't have tons of stove dealers and the box stores probable don't stock many either.

You actually have an advantage selling it in an area that doesn't have tons of stove dealers and the box stores probable don't stock many either.

The box stores don't have any in my area on the floor, it's all online orders only

Exactly. Making your chances of selling the VL locally better.

Status
Not open for further replies.