Looking to upgrade to an EPA stove - Hearthstone Mansfield not on EPA list?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bcfarms

Sep 27, 2012
Chaplin, CT
Hi. I'm looking to upgrade to an EPA stove. I live in Chaplin, CT and currently run an older Nashua stove on the first floor of the house as the primary heat source for the house. I also have an older Warner stove in the basement that I generally only use on super cold days. The Nashua does a decent job of heating the entire house but with little insulation I fire up the Warner on the really cold windy days.

I'm looking into the Hearthstone Mansfield to possibly replace the Nashua but I checked the EPA list and it's not listed. http://www.epa.gov/Compliance/resources/publications/monitoring/caa/woodstoves/certifiedwood.pdf

What gives? I thought it was EPA certified. Maybe I'm reading something incorrectly. Also the BTU numbers and data from the EPA appear to be different from what Hearthstone provides. Which is more accurate? Any recommendations on stoves?

The house is a "ranch style" house about 1750 sq feet. I say style because it's an older 1928 house that has had several additions throughout the years. If I replace the Warner, I don't care if the new stove has glass or not, but when I replace the Nashua the replacement has to look nice and be functional.

The house has three chimneys and 5 flues total so there is plenty of room for the stoves. Right now the fireplace is used strictly for aesthetic purposes. I've been keeping my eyes open for used units but am somewhat leery.

Thanks Ian

The Mansfield is an EPA stove.

It is a 3 cu ft stove. Ignore BTU ratings. I think it will work for you.

Reactions: Dairyman
The blower setups on the Hearthstone stoves seem pricey but I know that at least with my current Nashua output is increased immensely when the blower is running. Is it the same with the Hearthstone stoves?

I went to a local dealer this past weekend to look but I really don't like it when nothing has a visible price on it and the salesperson pulls prices.

People have had mixed results. Some love the blowers on the soapstone Hearthstones. Others felt it wasn't worth it. Everyone's expectations differ a little, I suppose.

I have the blower I find it helps to move the heat out of my stoves sort of alcove setting. If you have the room and don't mind the look you can get by alot cheaper with a pedestal fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.