Looking to upsize insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adahn

Oct 12, 2007
I've been using a smallish Morso 1710 as a 'starter' insert for the past 3 winters. It turned out I use it pretty often and now would like something with more output and longer burn times.
Current unit is rated at 39k BTU with a 1.1 cu ft firebox, and it doesn't have a blower. The room it's in is about 350 sq ft with large open doorways to the rest of the floor and a nearby open stairwell to the 2nd floor. The fireplace is in the center of the house. The fireplace opening measures 26"W 27"h 20.5"d. Radiant heat from the chimney does a decent job of warming the finished 3rd story attic. There is drywall around it on the 2nd floor, but some warmth radiates there too. There is a metal liner (8") in the fireplace and the gas boiler in the basement's chimney runs parallel up to the cap.

The Kennebec 450 is a nominal increase to 55K BTU, or the Regency I2400 75K BTU will fit but without it's faceplate surround. Both will require a hearth rebuild/extension. I don't think there is enough room for a free standing stove. I haven't met with a dealer/installer yet.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't woory about BTU's as much as I would compare firebox sizes. I have a 1.8 ft3 and I don't think it's big enough. I would put as big as one as you can fit in there.

A smallish stove like the Woodstock Fireview would fit, and the sales make it attractive, but I'd need to cover the wood floor further out. 55K BTU, 2.2 cu ft.

Any other opinions?

How much total sq. footage are you trying to heat? Most stoves will give you the sq ft that they are capable of heating, which is probably more relevant than btu ratings.
I have the Hampton HI300 which effectively heats my 17-1800 sq ft ranch, not including the full finished basement. It has a 2.3 cu. ft box and I have no problems getting 8-10hr burn times.
I kind of wish I would have gotten something a "little" bigger, but it seems to do the job. Definately get the blower for whatever insert you choose, they are an option on most stoves, but in my opinion, they are essential.

1st floor is around 1000 sq ft.. 2nd floor around 760. The existing 1710 is rated for almost 1300 sq ft, which I think is a reach.

Could you post a pic of your hearth? If you have to extend the hearth anyway, then I'd go for a freestanding hearth stove. In your case, I'd probably be looking at the Oslo or Fireview. If your going to go with an insert, get the biggest you can fit. The Regency is a very good stove and would serve you well. I think a Blaze King Princess might fit your fireplace. If so, I would give this some very strong consideration as well.

I usually keep my firewood in that space to the right, which would be a problem for the sideloading Fireview.

Attachments

• winter2011 002 - Copy (Medium).jpg
    winter2011 002 - Copy (Medium).jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 316
Downstate NY, 2 story Victorian. FP is in center of house, in open/merged LR/DR. Den, stairwell, and kitchen come off this room. Back surface of brick FP is drywalled.

Perhaps it would be possible to retrofit a blower in the space between the insert and the top of the FP opening. It's nearly 6" tall. There are 1/2" gaps on both sides and the bottom of the insert that could feed air to fans on top blowing out.

I'd still lean towards the Fireview. I think you can order the door on either side. I believe they still have the sale price too. If you're going to do an insert, then I think that Regency would do a good job.

(Bumping up this thread.)

One reason to go with a freestanding stove over an insert will be the difficulty of finding a stock surround that fits your fireplace in case of an insert. Many may just stick out into the room on the left of the fireplace opening. The Woodstock Fireview is a great medium-sized catalytic stove from a company with excellent customer service. Are you planning on using it to heat the whole house? It may be a bit undersized for 1700 sqft in NY unless during that remodel the insulation was upgraded significantly. A catalytic stove has the advantage that even with a low burn rate it burns cleanly. It is therefore easier to go larger and then adjust the burn rate as needed compared with a secondary burn stove. When it gets really cold you then have the option to increase the heat output. Long story short, I would also take a look at the Progress Hybrid if you want to rely predominantly on wood heat. If you don't mind supplementing your heat a bit with your standard heating source when it gets really cold, a mid-size stove of about 2.3 cu ft in firebox size should be enough.

Are you planning on removing the raised hearth? What is the height of the fireplace measured from the floor? There may also be other options for rear-vented stoves albeit non-catalytic ones e. g. from Jotul, Hearthstone and Quadrafire. For any stove you will need to check the side clearance to the wall on the right side. I also don't like how close the floor trim is to the fireplace. You may want to remove that, too, while doing some changes to your fireplace.

With an insulated liner you will not get much heat from the chimney in the upper floors anymore. Does the warm air travel up the stairwell?

I would dare say a decision was made. A long time ago.

Reactions: Ashful
Status
Not open for further replies.