Looks like a nice and easy project but....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabel

Minister of Fire
Jan 11, 2008
Ottawa, ON
This is from a local online paper:

" I got 2 stihl Chainsaws, one is a ms361 59cc with a 20 inch bar, will start but dies when you hit the throttle. A ms028 47cc same thing wrong 20 inch bar, poulan 37cc same thing wrong. Briggs and Stratton 5.5hp, runs but not to full rpms. All just need carb work. The two stihls running will bring 300-400 each, I want 400 for everything, might consider a trade for something with a motor. Reason for selling is I just lost interest in them"

Any reason to think all units are shot? The guy is motor repairs competent and wants to just unload?

I just revived a 15 year old chainsaw that would start but not run when yiu hit the throttle. All it took was replacing the fuel lines which was just a few bucks. Runs like a champ now. Nobody will want all of that so call the guy and focus on what you want.

Definitely worth it, unless they are straight gassed or something of the sort. Probably just gummed up carbs or something similar. Worst that happens is that you can sell them for parts and you will definitely make money. Get them all going and you have an instant three saw plan!

I just revived a 15 year old chainsaw that would start but not run when yiu hit the throttle. All it took was replacing the fuel lines which was just a few bucks. Runs like a champ now. Nobody will want all of that so call the guy and focus on what you want.

Like many here I experience CAD, in my head at this point!
I am no expert at fixing gas engines but fascinated with the concept.
I have no need for any of these but if in fact it turns out minor repairs, it could be well worth it.
Don't know....

Sounds like all of them are victims of varnished up carbs courtesy of wonderful ethanol enriched gas.

Sounds like all of them are victims of varnished up carbs courtesy of wonderful ethanol enriched gas.
Yes, that is what I think, and that is why it is tempting!

If you've already rebuilt a saw or similar OPE, then you likely have the equipment you'll need if it turns out to be something more involved. If not, make sure you budget in for the equipment and tools.

Well,
The ad was posted for 2hrs and SOLD!!
Thanks for the input.

Since the offer is no longer on the table, Ima just gonna shut this one down and let it slip into the sunset.

Status
Not open for further replies.