looks like fireworks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trailblaze

Aug 20, 2008
South West PA
ok, when i go to stoke the stove after an everburn the remaining coals/ ambers start exploding in sparks!! it looks like i threw a box of sparklers in there! it blows little sparks sometimes 4-5 feet out the door....they go zipping in every direction, but burn out almost instantly when they land, i mean theres like dozens of them flying at a time

whats the cause of this?

i have no clue.... it's got to be what ever type of split i put in there.... it doesn't do it all the time

but when it does, LOOK OUT

I've had that happen a lot this fall- and last night at a friend's house I watched it happen to him on a load of nothing but maple. My only thought is maybe it is some kind of fungus that is doing it? It's always happened from time to time but it does seem to be more frequent this year.

I get bad sparks with hickory.

Never tried burning osage even though there is a lot of it around my house. Might be interesting to try a piece.

mine does that with maple, i think its because on a low burn, you are starving the wood/coals for air, then when the door opens, air rushes in and the pores of the wood pop suddenly producing your fireworks. i will open the door but leave it adjar for a minute so the air can pop the sparks, then load. seems even if i do this sometimes i rake the coals to the front and it starts sparking again. hopefully someone has a better description than me and can describe it a little better.

Woah woah woah fattyfat1 - that is way too downright logical an explanation. I say magic spark producing fungus that can't stand being contained in the stove and makes a run for it when you open the door.

wow...it goes from.... turds, magic spark producing fungi, and pores of wood that pop suddenly producing fireworks

i love this site

Goldenearringz said:
magic fire turds - there's a new product in there somewhere lol

Nah, mexican restaurant across town beat you to it - they already have an assembly line rolling, they call it a "kitchen".

Status
Not open for further replies.