Looks like I may have finally hooked up with a tree service!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
I picked up the first load tonight(full trailer 16'x7'x2') and have a lot more to grab tomorrow. This is the first time we're working together so I'm trying to get the wood out as quickly as possible. The first loads are cherry and silver maple which is perfect since I've bee looking for shoulder season wood.

I almost need to be pinched! It would take me hours to cut what I picked up in an hour or so without ever starting the saw. Crazy! :cool: Not sure how long I can take loads like this since I'm three years out but I'll run with it for a while. It would be nice to get five years out and take a nice break. ;)

I'll get some pictures tomorrow it was too dark when I got home tonight.

That's awesome! Don't break your back too much. ;)

isn't it nice to save time, effort, wear and tear on your gear and money? adds even more value to your wood pile.

looking forward to the pics.

OT

Get it while the gettin' is good! Buy the crew a case of beer or something and I lay money you'll start a great relationship out if it......

Sounds like a good deal.

I saw a posting on the Ann Arbor craigslist a few weeks ago, from a tree service looking for somebody to haul wood off jobsites. They wanted somebody dependable, with a good size trailer, and they wood load it with a skid loader. I almost responded, but I have 3-4 years' worth stacked up and too much to get done around the house this summer. Sounded like a dream come true, but unfortunately, it was bad timing for me.

Edit: Was up again the other day. I might have to call if they want to bring it.

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/for/3018768368.html

That's great. I picked up a load from friend also. He was begging me to come and take it.
His yard is jammed with splits and log length. He didn't sell much firewood this winter.
Some of the logs he will ship out of state for milling but still hes got a ton of stuff. I wish I had more time and room.
I have enough for this winter and maybe next.

I picked up the first load tonight(full trailer 16'x7'x2') and have a lot more to grab tomorrow. This is the first time we're working together so I'm trying to get the wood out as quickly as possible. The first loads are cherry and silver maple which is perfect since I've bee looking for shoulder season wood.

I almost need to be pinched! It would take me hours to cut what I picked up in an hour or so without ever starting the saw. Crazy! :cool: Not sure how long I can take loads like this since I'm three years out but I'll run with it for a while. It would be nice to get five years out and take a nice break. ;)

I'll get some pictures tomorrow it was too dark when I got home tonight.

Trouble is rdust you have the same illness a lot of us have. If you get 5 years out you won't take a break you'll stay 5 years out and then maybe stretch it to 6........that's the bet my money's on.

Grabbed another full load today and a small load. Some scroungers got to the pile between my first and second load today or I would've had another full load. I can't complain either way two great loads and one not so much. :)

Here are some bad cell pictures of the 2 full loads and the mess heaped up after pushing them off the trailer. :)

Attachments

• 0607122110.jpg
    0607122110.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 154
  • 0607121452.jpg
    0607121452.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 160
  • 0607121819.jpg
    0607121819.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 157
nice score !

Just start burning more wood.

"Some scroungers got to the pile between my first and second load today " ( I had to laugh ;lol )
It was probably some one here :)

I just spent 5 hours getting about a 1/2 cord, you got to take wood when it's that easy ;)

That sounds like a great deal.. ya just go get 'em, split 'em and burn 'em. There are just way too many scores I got that I thought it was not worth the effort. Way to go.. and just try to stop gathering, even though you're way ahead. Bet ya can't!

There are some nice phat rounds in that load! If there is anyone in the Toronto area that needs to hook up with a tree service for free wood, PM me. I've run out of holes to fill on my property.

I just spent 5 hours getting about a 1/2 cord, you got to take wood when it's that easy ;)

I hear you! Last weekend I spent a few hours cutting a 1/2-2/3 cord in the sweltering heat. I spent not much more than that getting probably close to 4 cords including drive time with this stuff. I planned to get my current mess cleaned up this weekend before diving into the new stuff but it's been way too hot. When the sun starts going down I hope to get some wood moved around.

That sounds like a great deal.. ya just go get 'em, split 'em and burn 'em. There are just way too many scores I got that I thought it was not worth the effort. Way to go.. and just try to stop gathering, even though you're way ahead. Bet ya can't!

Yes the price is right! Now if I could get them to cut it all to the right length so I don't end up with a bunch of chunks I'd be in business! ;)

There are some nice phat rounds in that load!

The big rounds are pushing 30 inches. One of the cherry rounds around 28 inches that was near the base of the tree has an awesome outside shape. I'd like to try to do something with that round, maybe an outside table top or something.

Rdust
Great score and hopefully for you a nice long term relationship with wood sources. My friend and I had a similar cherry tree log that was easily 30" in diameter. I am sorry that I never did anything with it that except cut it for splits. We have a tree service that dumps on an old man's farm near us and he lets us go and pick through from time to time. We have acquired nearly half of our wood in the past 2 years because of him. Best of luck to you and be careful picking through piles.
Jeff

Got a call from the guy again tonight! It was only a 1/3 cord or so but close to home. The family and I picked it up and headed out to dinner after. I could get used to this! ;lol

Trouble is rdust you have the same illness a lot of us have. If you get 5 years out you won't take a break you'll stay 5 years out and then maybe stretch it to 6........that's the bet my money's on.

+1 and great score - hope it keeps up for you!

Or once 5 years out, then you only have to cut 1 year's worth every year and you are then always ahead that 5 years. It is sweet!

nice score!
If you want some cut to length stuff next time I get a load you can come by split some and throw it in your trailer if ya want?

Hell I could have gotten some standing dead black locust and sugar maple for you this week! :p tree service hauled it all off my neighbors front yard.... I have no more room for storage!

be easier on your back?

cheers

;) (PS: door latch before burning season)

Reactions: rdust
nice score!
If you want some cut to length stuff next time I get a load you can come by split some and throw it in your trailer if ya want?

Hell I could have gotten some standing dead black locust and sugar maple for you this week! :p tree service hauled it all off my neighbors front yard.... I have no more room for storage!

be easier on your back?

cheers

;) (PS: door latch before burning season)

Sounds like a plan, I'll let you know when I get caught up with this current mess. Once I get it stacked and out of the way I'll be able to bring some more home without the wife losing it. ;lol

You shouldn't go around telling us how you pasted on black locust and sugar maple! ;) I may be able to pass on the soft maples soon since I have a feeling this tree service will load me up on this stuff since they're used in yards a lot. If you get an offer of the "good" stuff again have them dump it and I'll find a place to tuck it away around here. ;lol

Sounds like a plan, I'll let you know when I get caught up with this current mess. Once I get it stacked and out of the way I'll be able to bring some more home without the wife losing it. ;lol

You shouldn't go around telling us how you pasted on black locust and sugar maple! ;) I may be able to pass on the soft maples soon since I have a feeling this tree service will load me up on this stuff since they're used in yards a lot. If you get an offer of the "good" stuff again have them dump it and I'll find a place to tuck it away around here. ;lol

I actually couldnt believe they were cutting when they did it was on Thursday.....100::F

Its random and spuratic when I get loads but I'll keep you in mind and let ya know!!!!!!

Hiram, when that is your employment, weather can't stop you. I not so fondly remember those 100 degree days logging. Fortunately in our area they are few and far between.

Hiram, when that is your employment, weather can't stop you. I not so fondly remember those 100 degree days logging. Fortunately in our area they are few and far between.
This is true Dennis but in my mind its a good day to quit early?:p

Man this heat is something else......

hope all is well

If it is that hot & dry down there, split oak must season in two months! If it gets above 95::F here, it is extreme. I start & finish early if the weather gets that hot. But today I am doing power washing. Good day for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.