Looks like I picked the wrong year to buy two pellet stove oil prices keep dropping....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have it figured out. My point is what happens when that patio / sunroom isn't opened? The ocean breeze most definitely helps tremendously also. What happens when it isn't sunny in the winter? Glass works against you. Does it not? There is no perfect solution for any home. You have to make adjustments accordingly. Too many variables. I am sticking to my guns on glass having poor R-Values and tons of losses and gains. There is just no way around it.

South facing solar homes prove this point. They want all the gain they can get thru that glass in the winter and they get it. That is how they obtain heat. They also shade that same south facing wall in summer because that same gain cooks them out. The hot glass even shaded kills their cool AC air too because it is radiated and transferred.
Well, a bit off topic, but one can shade those south facing windows with an awning / overhang in summer, but still allow winter sun to enter given its lower angle. A good architect can do wonders...

Well, a bit off topic, but one can shade those south facing windows with an awning / overhang in summer, but still allow winter sun to enter given its lower angle. A good architect can do wonders...
We have 2.5' overhang on south/north facing sides, except the patio.

You have it figured out. My point is what happens when that patio / sunroom isn't opened? The ocean breeze most definitely helps tremendously also. What happens when it isn't sunny in the winter? Glass works against you. Does it not? There is no perfect solution for any home. You have to make adjustments accordingly. Too many variables. I am sticking to my guns on glass having poor R-Values and tons of losses and gains. There is just no way around it.

South facing solar homes prove this point. They want all the gain they can get thru that glass in the winter and they get it. That is how they obtain heat. They also shade that same south facing wall in summer because that same gain cooks them out. The hot glass even shaded kills their cool AC air too because it is radiated and transferred.
Point taken. One the main reasons for getting a second insert in the LR facing north is an 13'x5' bow window that was hand made onsite when the house was built with 18 individual panes, they are double insulated glass, but leaky. I insulated the underside, which helped.

Looks like we will almost certainly get under the $2 level that many have said will make them switch:
February futures are $1.60 for delivery to NY harbor.
http://www.cmegroup.com/trading/energy/refined-products/heating-oil.html

In a stable price environment, I am usually able to get it in my tank for NY harbor + $0.30, so $1.90 here in northern worcester county. Lowest price I see to today is $2.14 at www.codoil.com

According to gasbuddy, there are stations out in Brockton selling gas in the $1.80's

Reactions: Doug MacIVER
Status
Not open for further replies.