Looks like I picked the wrong year to buy two pellet stove oil prices keep dropping....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This thing has a 20' hose with clear instructions that the tank remains outside
Yup. This, as far as I know. Is the only way to do it legally but I'm not sure if this is true on all cases. Check local laws.

As someone who likes to do their own home repair, I find these sorts of things troubling. I think all of these insurance issues and local laws are actually having a negative impact in some cases. I believe people who, like me, research a job very carefully and would otherwise do everything to code because it is the right thing to do get scared by the prospect of insurance issues or the fines from the town and people who just don't care, still don't care, and go ahead and do a cruddy job.

I dont think its the norm you read some story on the web and it becomes propagated. Ive known several folks who made claims on their home owners policy and there was never any sort of questions on this issue. Although I can understand a insurance companies side to, you do something flagrantly wrong and your house catches fire why should they pay for your stupidness. At the end of the day if they want to reject a claim they can and you have to lawyer up.

This thing has a 20' hose with clear instructions that the tank remains outside

But you can use it with the 1 LB canister indoors.

Mr. Heater's indoor safe propane Buddy Heaters have become America's Most Popular Portable Heaters...

But you can use it with the 1 LB canister indoors.

True but I like the big tanks since they last longer and I already have a bunch for my various outdoor propane appliances.

True but I like the big tanks since they last longer and I already have a bunch for my various outdoor propane appliances.
I was trying to find out how long it last when using the small bottle. Have you use one?

Small bottle is 1 pound of gas, , a gallon of propain is about 91,500 btu per gallon and a gallon is 4.2 pounds. I have several sunflower heaters and that the low heat setting is10k. so about 2 hours on low setting.

No, I havent use it with the 1lb bottles.

From the box the heater comes in.

464d485e661d2f179cd636efc973aef7.jpg

Ha hahahaha Ha HA! You made me laugh big time. Beautiful thought!

I will pay for what makes sense but I will do whatever I can to keep warm and put it to the energy kings. Even if using pellets might cost a little more than oil or whatever. At this point it is just as much about principle as it is money. I am so done with that game it isn't even funny. If solar wasn't so expensive and more refined I'd have those bastards paying me each month.

I removed myself from the fluctuating screw overs years ago. Here's a tid bit. The local electric company came out and switched my meter 3 times the first winter I used the Woodmaster a decade ago and they installed a lock on it. That alone insulted me and pissed me off. I heated with wood before that but at another home. The electric co. thought I was screwing them somehow because my usage went from extremely high to extremely low. I am smart enough to know that criminal charges are not worth a little electric cash. At first they thought the meter was bad. After I finally walked the third donkey around and showed him they suddenly understood and he took their lock home. Morons...

As for my temps thru out the house the most fluctuation I get is 7-8 degrees from my farthest reaches from the stove and that is during the real cold days and nights. During upper 30's to the 50's the temperature fluctuation decreases to about 3-4 degrees and I have checked often and monitored this since Oct 18th. Still do for sport and curiosity. I have a pretty open floor plan though on 2 levels and fans moving air. The 7-8 degree difference between the stove area and the farthest reaches is about to get remedied when I install the 2nd pellet stove. Yes, I am that dedicated to not giving utility and energy co.'s my cash. I am currently heating with one stove now and have been. Doubt I use the OWB at all or only to run it this season for fun or it stays well below zero for extended times. Not likely here.
Its funny watching people complain about 10 degrees cooler in their bedrooms then where the stove is. They forget so easily back when they were young but I remember waking up and seeing frost on the rafters and nails. That was common back then and we all survived and managed to live a good life. Never heard of a flu shot either. or bottled water for that matter. There was a fuel oil stove in the middle of the house or a coal furnace in the basement with a big square register in the middle of the room where the heat could come up. We could stand on the register or in front of that fuel oil heater to get war. Or for the fastest way stand in front of the wood cookstove and open the oven.

Its funny watching people complain about 10 degrees cooler in their bedrooms then where the stove is. They forget so easily back when they were young but I remember waking up and seeing frost on the rafters and nails. That was common back then and we all survived and managed to live a good life. Never heard of a flu shot either. or bottled water for that matter. There was a fuel oil stove in the middle of the house or a coal furnace in the basement with a big square register in the middle of the room where the heat could come up. We could stand on the register or in front of that fuel oil heater to get war. Or for the fastest way stand in front of the wood cookstove and open the oven.
Yeah! These kids have it soft today! I remember walking to school uphill both ways in 90 degree heat through three feet of snow in 50 mph winds with 70 lbs of books! And that was after slopping the hogs, milking the cows, feeding the chickens and shearing the sheep! Boy, do I remember that wonderful day we got electricity and indoor plumbing!

Reactions: briansol and bags
They don't know how to spell soft either. The electronics does that for them.

Dad swore the first words he remembered hearing after he was born in 1914 were "They don't make cars like they used to, farmers just can't make a living anymore and these kids today will never amount to anything.".

I'm 45 and the wife is a HS chemistry teacher. The smart kids can't handle basic math without a device or calculator. It's amazing just how much the younger generation has changed from when I was in school. IMO they need to have a reality check and detach themselves from their fantasy land lives of gaming. We limit our kids and make them spend time outside. When I was a kid we avoided being in the house all day even in crappy weather hot or cold. Now you have to pull teeth to get them outside when it's sunny and 70.

Guess the central HVAC and plethora of TV channels and unlimited games have spoiled them to say the least. Throwing news papers, cutting grass, and shoveling snow......What's that? Work or something close. I think the younger generations are in for a very rude awakening one day.

I think the same about my kids and their generation. I remember the old guys saying the same about me and my generation when I was a kid as well. I do wonder how they'll survive when something breaks in their house and they realize that it costs money to fix things. I'll probably get a phone call. lol

Reactions: bags
parents bought their first house when I was 5, in 1954. heat at night set at 55* and every bedroom had a window open. two wool blankets and the bed spread if you needed it.
today we have the wood stove 24/7 and one zone set at 60*. it rarely comes on but we don't keep the bedroom windows open.? have a day

I'm 45 and the wife is a HS chemistry teacher. The smart kids can't handle basic math without a device or calculator. It's amazing just how much the younger generation has changed from when I was in school. IMO they need to have a reality check and detach themselves from their fantasy land lives of gaming. We limit our kids and make them spend time outside. When I was a kid we avoided being in the house all day even in crappy weather hot or cold. Now you have to pull teeth to get them outside when it's sunny and 70.

Guess the central HVAC and plethora of TV channels and unlimited games have spoiled them to say the least. Throwing news papers, cutting grass, and shoveling snow......What's that? Work or something close. I think the younger generations are in for a very rude awakening one day.

GET OFF MY LAWN!

Reactions: briansol
Somebody rolled out of the wrong side of the bed this morning.......

Reactions: zrtmatos
Heating capacity =~ 400 sq ft. . . . . Big Buddy 18 000 BTU. Whoopee!:confused:

Like I said, this was only meant to heat my garage when I want to work in there which it does quite nicely.

I wont get rid of the pellet in favor of oil... well if it goes back to 99 cents a gallon I may consider it... I have had such a bad taste in my mouth from the oil companies I will never go back. I may though consider propane.... wife wants a propane stove anyway.... but even so I'll keep the pellet stoves.

Ha hahahaha Ha HA! You made me laugh big time. Beautiful thought!

I will pay for what makes sense but I will do whatever I can to keep warm and put it to the energy kings. Even if using pellets might cost a little more than oil or whatever. At this point it is just as much about principle as it is money. I am so done with that game it isn't even funny. If solar wasn't so expensive and more refined I'd have those bastards paying me each month.

I removed myself from the fluctuating screw overs years ago. Here's a tid bit. The local electric company came out and switched my meter 3 times the first winter I used the Woodmaster a decade ago and they installed a lock on it. That alone insulted me and pissed me off. I heated with wood before that but at another home. The electric co. thought I was screwing them somehow because my usage went from extremely high to extremely low. I am smart enough to know that criminal charges are not worth a little electric cash. At first they thought the meter was bad. After I finally walked the third donkey around and showed him they suddenly understood and he took their lock home. Morons...

As for my temps thru out the house the most fluctuation I get is 7-8 degrees from my farthest reaches from the stove and that is during the real cold days and nights. During upper 30's to the 50's the temperature fluctuation decreases to about 3-4 degrees and I have checked often and monitored this since Oct 18th. Still do for sport and curiosity. I have a pretty open floor plan though on 2 levels and fans moving air. The 7-8 degree difference between the stove area and the farthest reaches is about to get remedied when I install the 2nd pellet stove. Yes, I am that dedicated to not giving utility and energy co.'s my cash. I am currently heating with one stove now and have been. Doubt I use the OWB at all or only to run it this season for fun or it stays well below zero for extended times. Not likely here.

Ha ! Ha ! HA! Same thing here. I put in electric (all I could afford) the first winter. $500-$800 electric bills. Next season did pellet stoves - electric bill dropped to $140's... in January electric company replaced meter with a lock. Then I got a letter stating they are monitoring my usage at the street level... then the techs came out to change the meter again... I met them outside this time brought them in showed them the old heaters (220V, 4000W X4) and the two new stoves... they apologized and went on to their next victim.... it was too funny!

I wouldn't have told them anything and just let them keep running around trying to figure out how I was cheating the system.

Ha ! Ha ! HA! Same thing here. I put in electric (all I could afford) the first winter. $500-$800 electric bills. Next season did pellet stoves - electric bill dropped to $140's... in January electric company replaced meter with a lock. Then I got a letter stating they are monitoring my usage at the street level... then the techs came out to change the meter again... I met them outside this time brought them in showed them the old heaters (220V, 4000W X4) and the two new stoves... they apologized and went on to their next victim.... it was too funny!

I'm waiting for the propane company to insinuate that I am having someone else deliver (the tank belongs to a specific company). Last winter I was going thru 300+ gallons every month. I got my first delivery since last February (when I had the Harman installed), and I had them only put in 150 gallons - not fill it. They haven't said anything yet though.

Status
Not open for further replies.