Looks like I picked the wrong year to buy two pellet stove oil prices keep dropping....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wont get rid of the pellet in favor of oil... well if it goes back to 99 cents a gallon I may consider it... I have had such a bad taste in my mouth from the oil companies I will never go back. I may though consider propane.... wife wants a propane stove anyway.... but even so I'll keep the pellet stoves.
Propane here just went up again. We got a delivery last week, $4.85 a gal. Before I bought the pellet stove I had considered a gas free standing living room stove, dodged that bullet ( though it would have been easy to clean!). The wife will have nothing to do with anything but a gas range in the kitchen, she has one of these commercial rated stoves with the heavy cast iron burners and center grill, relatively new and loves it.. But it sure seems this SE corner of Ma. is so out of line on propane cost with the rest of the country it's ridiculous. At least gauging from this site anyway, I come on here and see people complaining about $2 plus propane and think , if only that.

Propane here just went up again. We got a delivery last week, $4.85 a gal. Before I bought the pellet stove I had considered a gas free standing living room stove, dodged that bullet ( though it would have been easy to clean!). The wife will have nothing to do with anything but a gas range in the kitchen, she has one of these commercial rated stoves with the heavy cast iron burners and center grill, relatively new and loves it.. But it sure seems this SE corner of Ma. is so out of line on propane cost with the rest of the country it's ridiculous. At least gauging from this site anyway, I come on here and see people complaining about $2 plus propane and think , if only that.
I pay about what you do because I use very little except when the genny runs.

I pay about what you do because I use very little except when the genny runs.
Oh good. Just sayin, ya know. The truck drives by the house about twice a week, so every 4 months he stops in . It's not like he is going out of his way.

Last edited:
Just got propane fill up yesterday at $2.23 gallon here in Ontario! I instantly hit the off button on the pellet stove! It is now an evening room heater until the price of propane goes back up.

Just got propane fill up yesterday at $2.23 gallon here in Ontario! I instantly hit the off button on the pellet stove! It is now an evening room heater until the price of propane goes back up.
So your paying over 7.75 a bag for pellets ?

So your paying over 7.75 a bag for pellets ?
That is dumb logic! The most propane I have ever used in one month was 438 liters (116 gal) this includes hot water and bbq, at today's price that's $217! The next month, that wasn't as cold I burned 55 bags of pellets at $5 bag = $275 + hydro for heater in the bedroom so I didn' freeze my ass off +$50 ( being generous here)+ propane for hot water and BBQ and hydro to run the stove! Basically what I'm getting at is $217 max for the furnace or $350 for the pellet stove with heater and hot water!

I was just trying to calculate propane to pellet conversion. Propane at 91,000 btu per gallon and pellets at 8,000 per pound-320,000 btu per bag. Divide 320,00 by 91,000 close to 3.5 gallon per bag.

I was just trying to calculate propane to pellet conversion. Propane at 91,000 btu per gallon and pellets at 8,000 per pound-320,000 btu per bag. Divide 320,00 by 91,000 close to 3.5 gallon per bag.
Btu's don't mean anything if they aren't distributed through the house properly, also that calculation doesn't take into consideration that the furnace is 97% efficient and the pellet stove is only about 80%.

Reactions: F4jock
97% efficiency on your furnace? What is it?

My P68 pellet stove is 89% but most are about 80% or a bit better.

That's still way good. I wouldn't lose sleep over 1%. 96% is excellent. I haven't seen or messed with natural gas / propane furnaces for over a decade. Think the best I had was 92 or 94% in my last house and that was good when I installed those new units. Only 4% going out the vent is great. I'd be interested in that unit if we have NG out here. NG and propane just need a slightly different set up but are the same furnaces.

I could get propane here but by the time I invest in everything as luck would have it the prices would probably hike back up as high as giraffe nuts.

Reactions: elevenMracing
Sounds close to the Amana I bought for the house but never installed. Crosslink solved distribution in basement anyway. Another stove upstairs for when it gets below 0

These low prices won't last for ever, all it takes is a whale fart in the gulf of Mexico and prices will go though the roof, as far as nat gas/LP Pennsylvanina just elected a democrat gov. He is already announcing to tax the hell out of the shale drilling to help the "kids". All this is temporary. Do what you have to do to keep your family budget in check, just don't sell your pellet stoves anytime soon.
Denny

Pellets are the way for me to go now hands down. It was a good year for me to buy two stoves but everyone's situation is different. When I installed my new Carrier high efficiency heat pump that sort of made dollar sense at that time vs. oil or propane. Still not good heat but it wasn't off the hook costly either. A year or two later and that changed and it's only been getting worse.

Funny thing, a neighbor about a half a mile away stopped by this evening. Transferred for work from Massachusetts about 1 1/2 yrs. ago. Walked in and said what are you thinking? while he was looking at the two pellets stoves. Said they quit using theirs up there because they were paying close to $400 a ton and left it when they sold their house. When I said I paid $224 a ton his wife now wants one again. They had one for a decade or so before. They've been using primarily a wood stove and their oil central system lightly. Wood is plentiful here, easy to get, but the low cost on pellets had her attention big time. Looks like I'll be helping them install one soon.

These low prices won't last for ever, all it takes is a whale fart in the gulf of Mexico and prices will go though the roof, as far as nat gas/LP Pennsylvanina just elected a democrat gov. He is already announcing to tax the hell out of the shale drilling to help the "kids". All this is temporary. Do what you have to do to keep your family budget in check, just don't sell your pellet stoves anytime soon.
Denny
It's not going anywhere! There is nothing I enjoy more than Sunday afternoon laying on the couch after a six pack, watching the Bills loose again, with that puppy cranked! Two eyes open the first quarter, one eye open the second, no eyes open through half time and third. And then screaming at the TV in the fourth quarter soaking wet and thirsty!

What you almost have to do these days is have multiple ways to heat and beat them at their own game. I think that is the only solid plan I can come up with. I have several now and always looking for others. They are going to get you coming and going no matter what. Some how.

Reactions: F4jock
Late summer was all set to have a 98% AFUE Lennox Gas furnace installed, Yankee Gas is my Gas co, they advertise FREE line to home installation, well after calling them and told them I live on a state owned road, they said no freebie for you!, that'll be $6000 to run a 30 foot line to my house....No Thanks!

It's not going anywhere! There is nothing I enjoy more than Sunday afternoon laying on the couch after a six pack, watching the Bills loose again, with that puppy cranked! Two eyes open the first quarter, one eye open the second, no eyes open through half time and third. And then screaming at the TV in the fourth quarter soaking wet and thirsty!

Late summer was all set to have a 98% AFUE Lennox Gas furnace installed, Yankee Gas is my Gas co, they advertise FREE line to home installation, well after calling them and told them I live on a state owned road, they said no freebie for you!, that'll be $6000 to run a 30 foot line to my house....No Thanks!
Ours is about 120 ft with a 6 mo wait for the install. Didn't even bother with the quote. Actually it might be a longer run even, I think the main is on the other side of the highway.

Ours is about 120 ft with a 6 mo wait for the install. Didn't even bother with the quote. Actually it might be a longer run even, I think the main is on the other side of the highway.

Here in New York, if there is a distribution gas main with in 150' of your house, the gas company has no choice but to install a line to your house at no charge regardless of what is in the way.

Denny
You are doubtless correct. Wolf has already started whining about the "deficit" he allegedly inherited. Taxes are gonna go up to finance his giveaways and the gas tax he yelped about won't be rolled back either.

Reactions: dradam1
as of today, the current oil price is $1.10/gal lower than my average last winter. a cool $825.00 savings. as I've said most of that saving goes right back out the door to Nasty Grid. MERRY CHRISTMAS.

You are doubtless correct. Wolf has already started whining about the "deficit" he allegedly inherited. Taxes are gonna go up to finance his giveaways and the gas tax he yelped about won't be rolled back either.
I just can't resist commenting, even though I am not going to get into a long, drawn out battle with you on this... The new administration in PA has inherited a hot mess, and will have much to address. I tend to vote for candidates on both sides of the aisle, and have a mix of friends and business contacts on both as well. The consensus (and vote tally) has been that the outgoing governor has done less for this state than almost any governor in recent history. You had to work hard to lose as a Republican in the recent election, yet he managed to do so (thankfully) because of his record.

So for once, let's see what this new guy can do regardless of party. Enough is enough with this waving of the party flag at all costs. The guy isn't even in office yet - give him a shot and let's see what happens if we listen to what is being proposed and judge ideas on merit, before we make up our minds.

Status
Not open for further replies.