Looks Like My Wood Heating Days Are Over

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Battenkiller

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2009
Just Outside the Blue Line
After 21 years of timely payments renting this place and putting both additional money and the sweat of my brow into the building and surrounding property, my kindly landlord has decided he needs to let his new herdsman live here. We were told we could stay here for as long as we wanted, backed by a firm handshake. Now, like a couple of his unnecessary milks cows, we are being sent out for slaughter.

Couldn't even have given us a heads-up so we could plan, or come give us the devastating news in person. Certified letter yesterday afternoon was how we found out. I know, I know... we should have been better prepared. :roll:

Freakin' Republican farmers. >:-(

Anybody within driving distance of Saratoga Springs wants a real good deal on about 4 cords of God's firewood (black birch), a crap load of pine logs or a nice classic American-made stove in excellent condition, send me a PM.

Also, since I have not a clue where the contents of my wood shop will have to go, I have decided to get hot on eBay and Craigslist to liquidate the stuff as fast as possible. Anybody within driving distance of Saratoga wants first crack, send me a PM.

Lastly, I have a treasure trove of fancy and exotic wood. Anyone within driving distance who wants to risk running afoul of the Lacey Act and joining the ranks of Gibson Guitar as hardened criminals, send me a PM. I'll be bootlegging my once legitimate wood as fast as I can get rid of it.

to put it bluntly, that truly sucks. sorry to hear about being forced to move.

i hope you find a better situation with better opportunities.

all the best.

vinny

Sorry to hear the news. Perhaps the fellow might allow you to store the wood there until you find another place and then be able to move it yourself. Good luck on the selling but make sure that you have to sell before going through with it. You might be surprised to find some place that would allow you to keep it all.

Oh man, BK. That's truly horrible. 21 years? You deserve a face-to-face notification after that.

Without a doubt that sucks! I'm with Dennis though, I'd hang on to what you've got, what makes you think you won't find a place that you can burn again? With such a down housing market maybe you'll be able to buy your dream house now because of this? Try to put a positive spin on this situation!

Battenkiller - Christmas, what a weasel! I'm glad to hear tho that you are one of the real human beings who still travel through the world on a handshake.

Don't let this (I' can't even come up with an epithet strong enough - PG or XX rated)! change you!

Best of luck in extricating yourself from this "manmade disaster."

Peace,
Littlalex

Well crap. =/

I don't often say this, but would going to court give you anything, at least buy you some time to get your affairs in order? Even without a documented lease agreement, 21 years of renting is a pretty solid foundation for legal standing that he should go through the proper eviction process.

I hope you can figure something out for you and your family.

~Rose

Think Rose has a real point. If the letter expects you out in say 30 days, I'm pretty sure almost any judge, given the history you described would extend it to, say 90 days. Regardless, given the financial losses and emotional toll of this action by dear landlord, a consultation with a local solicitor is in order. Or if not that, at least some serious use of the Google to check the stories of other people screwed suchly.

You might want to start here:

http://www.nysconsumer.gov/assisting/clhm/default.htm

Good Luck,
Littlalex

someone that cannot come to you in person and tell you face to face is a coward and they know in there heart they are doing wrong, but keeep your head up and start asking around you may find a place that a landowner would love to have a person like you around, people will never get it you cannot do people wrong and do any good in life.

Dang BK, what a way to do someone! 21 years of improving and maintaining this guys place, and this is the thanks you receive.
I think you'll end up in a good place eventually, but the road will be bumpy getting there. Hang in there, and keep us abreast of things.

Battenkiller said:
After 21 years of timely payments renting this place and putting both additional money and the sweat of my brow into the building and surrounding property, my kindly landlord has decided he needs to let his new herdsman live here. We were told we could stay here for as long as we wanted, backed by a firm handshake. Now, like a couple of his unnecessary milks cows, we are being sent out for slaughter.

Couldn't even have given us a heads-up so we could plan, or come give us the devastating news in person. Certified letter yesterday afternoon was how we found out. I know, I know... we should have been better prepared. :roll:

Freakin' Republican farmers. >:-(

Anybody within driving distance of Saratoga Springs wants a real good deal on about 4 cords of God's firewood (black birch), a crap load of pine logs or a nice classic American-made stove in excellent condition, send me a PM.

Also, since I have not a clue where the contents of my wood shop will have to go, I have decided to get hot on eBay and Craigslist to liquidate the stuff as fast as possible. Anybody within driving distance of Saratoga wants first crack, send me a PM.

Lastly, I have a treasure trove of fancy and exotic wood. Anyone within driving distance who wants to risk running afoul of the Lacey Act and joining the ranks of Gibson Guitar as hardened criminals, send me a PM. I'll be bootlegging my once legitimate wood as fast as I can get rid of it.

Sorry to hear that my wood burning friend! Sometimes things happen for the best so believe that and see what you can do.. Maybe you could buy your own place and this won't happen again? Keep us informed and remember no matter what happens you're one of us!

Good Luck!!

Ray

Exactly how my grandfather lost his farm. Handshake and promise and all. A rotten deal guy.

Yeah man, if I got treated that way after 21 years of being a good tenant, I would have no problem in finding out what
my legal rights are and exercising them. I don't know how things are where you live, but here eviction is not an easy process. You have no lease agreement, but you have a verbal contract that you upheld for two decades.

That sucks, bro. Good luck.

I have had the "it is time" feeling before. I knew it and found myself correct. It is a very uncomfortable position. This I understand came by surprise and I dislike the memories it brings back. In our state eviction is a derogatory forced definition as far as I know. This guy may be changing his game plan and he does have the right to ask you to leave. I do believe he could have had a meeting with you though... Get going to something better, don't look back, get your own place if your able asap!

We all know the years of the 'handshakes' are just about over. In this day and age the simple effects of 'what was' is all but gone. BK, I cringed when you mentioned what had to go. All that time to collect those items only to liquidate them. Sorry for your bad news, best of luck with your move...Wish I lived closer to give you a hand

Yup, rotten deal there. Good for you for being a great tenant though. Maybe in this economy there could be another opportunity with so many properties available out there. Keep everyone posted.

Thanks for the support. You guys are always there for a guy when he's down and out. Seen it over and over here. Now it's my turn, and I really appreciate it.

It's hard for me to hold a grudge at this point in my life. It takes so much energy! I just don't have it in me anymore. Best to just grit our teeth and soldier on. They did what they did for reasons that I can't fathom. Maybe they had no choice, but were too embarrassed to confront us. Shame is not the same as cowardice, I will not make a value judgement on them. They let us have the run of the place all this time, maybe that's why it hurts so much - it feels like our own home.

You're all right, one can never tell what kind of wonderful things can happen to you all because of a negative event. About 35 years ago I got fired from a good job and decided to go back to school. Never did finish the degree back then, but I did meet a wonderful gal out there who ended up giving me three beautiful kids and became my soulmate for life. Without having been laid off, I never would have met my true love. I think about things like that when I am bouncing my grandson Ethan on my knee.

We have been lucky over the last 21 years here, and we had a good long run of it. Time to move on to the next thing. Yeah, it's gonna be brutal, but we might find an even nicer place, you just never know. This place will always be in our memories: the beautiful bucolic view, the peace and quiet, deer and turkey in the fields most nights, raising three kids up to be responsible adults - what more could we want? Still, I look around at all the landscaping we did the last two years, the sturdy work shed I built (now for their herdsman to enjoy for free), the chainsaw carving station we've been perfecting all summer and am just now being able to work at, all the pine logs we painstakingly stripped of bark so the bugs wouldn't get in and destroy them... the list goes on and on.

But so many around us have lost so much in the last week or so. Homes, roads... entire towns washed away. Even if I end up losing every damn thing, at least I'll be able to say I had a fighting chance. My sister had to watch helplessly as her home got swallowed by the flood water. My home town of Waterford is practically a ghost town. People wandering around everywhere in upstate NY after the worst flood anyone alive can remember. I was able to rescue my stuff from my flooded basement only to have to maybe sell it all, but at least the river didn't claim it. Even in these hard times, we are blessed.

Yes, we now have an opportunity to buy our own place... my earliest life dream and the one that has eluded me all these years. As much as we love this place, there were numerous things that the landlord was never willing to take care of, things that we just flat out hate. I made a list of these things, so every time we get a twinge in the heart, we can look at the list and take comfort that at least we won't have to put up with that stuff anymore. 18 so far. Amazing what you get used to over time. Sometimes you just have to trick yourself with some mind games in order to go on. This is one of those times.

Battenkiller - You've not only going to survive, but thrive...you and your wife/family obviously have the "right stuff."

On to the next adventure...

Peace,
Littlalex

BK, I am so glad you are positive about this. Home is where the heart is and I think you know that. My recent injury and recovery has been tougher than anything I have ever experienced. But it has taught me a lot. Some how, I know you will be OK. It won't be easy, but you will be OK. I will look forward to the day you post about your new home and new stove! Take care, Steve

And there is the option of asking the guy what he wants for the place.

Wow, 21 years at the same place! Sorry to hear of your misfortune Battenkiller, good luck finding a new home and I hope it has a wood stove for you! My wife and I were considering moving to warmer climates in a few years when the kids are done with school but I would miss my stove too much.

Sorry to hear this. Keep your head up, you sound like a good man with a great family and I'm sure things will work out for the better.

Wow, that stinks, all right, but you have a good attitude and it would be EXCELLENT if you bought your own place. Honestly, I cringed when I read you'd rented that long. You could have had something of your own paid for by now with the rent payments. However, the deer and the turkeys and the view, that's important stuff, too.

Hope you find a great place that's nicer than what you have now. Good luck!

Poult

Status
Not open for further replies.