Looks Like My Wood Heating Days Are Over

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey BK,
Keep your head up. I just got done selling my four wood stoves on line, the new rental house has no chimney, just asked the new LL if I could put a pellet stove in she sais yes. Made my day, new beginnings are a reason to rejoice sometimes like you said.

Take care,
Chris

BK is a race saw kinda guy. Don't think a pellet stove is gonna trip his trigger.

BrotherBart said:
BK is a race saw kinda guy. Don't think a pellet stove is gonna trip his trigger.
I thought he is more of a 50:1 surgeon, carvings and all.
BattenKiller, your situation just sucks. Not gonna try to be all "there, there, it'll be fine", that's just bullchit. Let me know if your LL wants to relocate, I have a few prime mine shafts that are as yet un-occupied. Just say'in. (See what Nicco say's)

Beetle-Kill said:
Let me know if your LL wants to relocate, I have a few prime mine shafts that are as yet un-occupied. Just say'in. (See what Nicco say's)

I'm just going to assume I'm drunk as I was unable to follow this post.

BrowningBAR said:
Beetle-Kill said:
Let me know if your LL wants to relocate, I have a few prime mine shafts that are as yet un-occupied. Just say'in. (See what Nicco say's)

:lol: :lol:

BrotherBart said:
I hear you, there. I'll miss cutting wood in 0 degree weather and splitting it with my giant wedge maul with a sweatshirt on when most people are in goose down jackets if outside at all. But after loading up four stoves (all mostly cast iron) for buyers and moving all the contents of my entire house and two garages in the same week as well as packing and sharing the care of our newborn with my wife the last thing I envy is a giant pile of fresh logs just waiting to be processed in a driveway. Though I must admit, I do look fondly at those piles when they are in somebody elses driveway and will miss seeing them in my yard as well.

Just saying, there could be positives out there for BK. We also lost our previous house under similar circumstances, but the sun will shine again for you BK. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but eventually! ;-)

BrotherBart said:
BrowningBAR said:
Beetle-Kill said:

:lol: :lol:
;-) Wait, what? I was say'in I know a few real-estate agents. Just say'in. :red:

BK,

I'm so sorry. That's a rough thing to go through at this time of your life. I'm routing for you, man. I'm really hoping this is one of those stories where you say "It was weird how God worked that out. I thought it was the end of the world and it turned out to be something really great." Just like meeting your girl. Sometimes adversity has a way of introducing us to things we never even knew were out there.

Either way where ever you end up I hope you can burn wood there.

BrowningBAR said:
Beetle-Kill said:

LOL good one!

:lol:

Ray

Can you store it? At least the woodworking stuff and stove? Some of the good handtools and such are getting harder to find. They don't take up much room either. Maybe you could make some chests out of that exotic lumber and put everything up for a while.

Matt

BK,

After all that time that sucks that they were not able to talk to you face to face. I have found that everything seems to happen for a reason.

Just a quick story, many moons ago my wife and I were selling our home and relocating. We found the perfect new home but were unable to close on it since our existing home did not sell in time. We were devastated that the deal fell through. Well low and behold within 6 months (house still on market) we needed to relocate due to employment again !!! Had the first deal gone through we would have been in a bad situation, but since we were still renting it was not a big deal, and we ended up where we are now. 13 years later, still loving the property and home.

It will all work out and sometime in the not so distant future you will most likely be grateful that this bad situation happened.

Hang in there.

Shawn

Wow 21 Years ! your the kind of tenant LLs dream about. Too bad you were not dealing with me as i do lease purchases,you would own the place by now. One of my friends did a lease purchase with only a VERBAL agreement against my advice ,it ended badly. Probably cheaper to buy now than to rent anyway. Good Luck BK

I spent many a year at Saratoga springs. Just off of exit 13 N. My family was associated with the harness track and i'd help out at the barn in the summer. One of my brothers lives down route 22 and 43 in Stephentown, he said the Kinderhook Creek, normally a calm streem about 20 yards across and only a few feet deep most of the time, was a raging torrent. Luckily, he's on high ground but navagation in the area is a challange.

I would think that after 21 years, you would have some kind of recourse if you were to hire an attourney. Especually to give you reasonable time to find other accomidations. Then again, probably wouldn't be much fun to stick around.

good luck

cass

Battenkiller said:
Thanks for the support. You guys are always there for a guy when he's down and out. Seen it over and over here. Now it's my turn, and I really appreciate it.

It's hard for me to hold a grudge at this point in my life. It takes so much energy! I just don't have it in me anymore. Best to just grit our teeth and soldier on. They did what they did for reasons that I can't fathom. Maybe they had no choice, but were too embarrassed to confront us. Shame is not the same as cowardice, I will not make a value judgement on them. They let us have the run of the place all this time, maybe that's why it hurts so much - it feels like our own home.

You're all right, one can never tell what kind of wonderful things can happen to you all because of a negative event. About 35 years ago I got fired from a good job and decided to go back to school. Never did finish the degree back then, but I did meet a wonderful gal out there who ended up giving me three beautiful kids and became my soulmate for life. Without having been laid off, I never would have met my true love. I think about things like that when I am bouncing my grandson Ethan on my knee.

We have been lucky over the last 21 years here, and we had a good long run of it. Time to move on to the next thing. Yeah, it's gonna be brutal, but we might find an even nicer place, you just never know. This place will always be in our memories: the beautiful bucolic view, the peace and quiet, deer and turkey in the fields most nights, raising three kids up to be responsible adults - what more could we want? Still, I look around at all the landscaping we did the last two years, the sturdy work shed I built (now for their herdsman to enjoy for free), the chainsaw carving station we've been perfecting all summer and am just now being able to work at, all the pine logs we painstakingly stripped of bark so the bugs wouldn't get in and destroy them... the list goes on and on.

But so many around us have lost so much in the last week or so. Homes, roads... entire towns washed away. Even if I end up losing every damn thing, at least I'll be able to say I had a fighting chance. My sister had to watch helplessly as her home got swallowed by the flood water. My home town of Waterford is practically a ghost town. People wandering around everywhere in upstate NY after the worst flood anyone alive can remember. I was able to rescue my stuff from my flooded basement only to have to maybe sell it all, but at least the river didn't claim it. Even in these hard times, we are blessed.

Yes, we now have an opportunity to buy our own place... my earliest life dream and the one that has eluded me all these years. As much as we love this place, there were numerous things that the landlord was never willing to take care of, things that we just flat out hate. I made a list of these things, so every time we get a twinge in the heart, we can look at the list and take comfort that at least we won't have to put up with that stuff anymore. 18 so far. Amazing what you get used to over time. Sometimes you just have to trick yourself with some mind games in order to go on. This is one of those times.

Batten, I of course don't know your situation, but if you could be a first time home buyer with good credit, you can get a USDA Rural Development housing loan. These are great loans. No money down fixed rates. I just worked with my sister in law to get a house this way.

Battenkiller said:
After 21 years of timely payments renting this place and putting both additional money and the sweat of my brow into the building and surrounding property, my kindly landlord has decided he needs to let his new herdsman live here. We were told we could stay here for as long as we wanted, backed by a firm handshake. Now, like a couple of his unnecessary milks cows, we are being sent out for slaughter.

Couldn't even have given us a heads-up so we could plan, or come give us the devastating news in person. Certified letter yesterday afternoon was how we found out. I know, I know... we should have been better prepared. :roll:

Freakin' Republican farmers. >:-(

Anybody within driving distance of Saratoga Springs wants a real good deal on about 4 cords of God's firewood (black birch), a crap load of pine logs or a nice classic American-made stove in excellent condition, send me a PM.

Also, since I have not a clue where the contents of my wood shop will have to go, I have decided to get hot on eBay and Craigslist to liquidate the stuff as fast as possible. Anybody within driving distance of Saratoga wants first crack, send me a PM.

Lastly, I have a treasure trove of fancy and exotic wood. Anyone within driving distance who wants to risk running afoul of the Lacey Act and joining the ranks of Gibson Guitar as hardened criminals, send me a PM. I'll be bootlegging my once legitimate wood as fast as I can get rid of it.

Screw that guy! If you have good credit and some cash go buy yourself a house with three fireplaces and have multiple stoves to test. This isn't a set back. This is an opportunity to expand on your wood obsession.

gzecc said:
, I of course don't know your situation, but if you could be a first time home buyer with good credit, you can get a USDA Rural Development housing loan. These are great loans. No money down fixed rates. I just worked with my sister in law to get a house this way.

Agreed. My mortgage is USDA backed. So sorry BK.

Sorry to hear about your situation. Keep your head high. When one door close, it normally will lead to another door open, and I hope that it will be a better one.

Cheers......Som

Batttenkiller, this is too late for you, but it may help someone somewhere someday. Since the year 1677 all contacts for real estate must be in writing to be enforceable.

21 years and no lease? How did you expect it to end? People die - even landlords. Or become bankrupt. Or sell. Or become legally incapacitated. What would a handshake have done then, even with the best will in the world? This is what a lease if for. Contrary to what most people believe, a lease is of far more value to a tenant than a landlord.

But, there is a possibility... Was there EVER a written lease? If so, your continued occupancy and the landlord's continued acceptance of the rent may be construed as a mutual agreement to keep that lease in force. In that case, the original terms apply as to the date of termination. In other words, if the original written lease (assuming there was such a thing) was to expire May 30, 1991, then you MAY be able to hold on until May 30th next. Or whatever the date may be.

In any event, if you wanted to be difficult, you could simply refuse to leave. Self help is not permitted in any US jurisdiction. It would likely take two months just to get on the court calendar. I am not recommending this course of action, you understand. Just making an observation.

Sorry to hear this BK.

I bet you have had some sleepless nights......

I just hope and pray that in a couple of years time, you can look back and see this as your opportunity to get a property with some security of tenure somehow.

Please let us know how you get on.

Take care....

New member here,just signed up.I burn firewood also but I am a full time landlord and house flipper for 25 years and thought I could give some advice.I am located in Schenectady county and have dealt with many of the area eviction courts getting rid of non paying tenants.Being there 21 years I am assuming your rent is current,which means the landlord needs to give you a 30 day notice if no lease.This notice does not run Sept3-Oct 3 and you need to be gone by Oct 3 in NY state a 30 day notice given on Sept 3 is not effective until Oct 30.The landlord probably does not understand this but that is the law,if he wanted you gone for the first of October you should have received the notice the last day of August.He cannot remove you himself, if he were to do this or remove a door etc that is called a constructive eviction and you call the police and he will have problems.He will have to take you to court if you refuse to leave,pay the rent as usual for October if you wish to stay for that month and he will have to wait till November 1 to initiate eviction proceedings on you as a holdover tenant.If he tries in October just show the judge when you received notice and he should throw it out as you have not received proper notice.Chances are if he does the paperwork himself he will probably screw it up and I can tell you what to look for.As others have said the USDA rural housing loan is perfect for what you would probably be looking for.100%financing and seller can help with closing costs can get you in for very little down and with low interest rates and lots of properties on the market you may be surprised what a monthly payment would cost you.I would be glad to answer questions offline if you would like I can be reached at [email protected]

Ken S said:
New member here,just signed up.I burn firewood also but I am a full time landlord and house flipper for 25 years and thought I could give some advice.I am located in Schenectady county and have dealt with many of the area eviction courts getting rid of non paying tenants.Being there 21 years I am assuming your rent is current,which means the landlord needs to give you a 30 day notice if no lease.This notice does not run Sept3-Oct 3 and you need to be gone by Oct 3 in NY state a 30 day notice given on Sept 3 is not effective until Oct 30.The landlord probably does not understand this but that is the law,if he wanted you gone for the first of October you should have received the notice the last day of August.He cannot remove you himself, if he were to do this or remove a door etc that is called a constructive eviction and you call the police and he will have problems.He will have to take you to court if you refuse to leave,pay the rent as usual for October if you wish to stay for that month and he will have to wait till November 1 to initiate eviction proceedings on you as a holdover tenant.If he tries in October just show the judge when you received notice and he should throw it out as you have not received proper notice.Chances are if he does the paperwork himself he will probably screw it up and I can tell you what to look for.As others have said the USDA rural housing loan is perfect for what you would probably be looking for.100%financing and seller can help with closing costs can get you in for very little down and with low interest rates and lots of properties on the market you may be surprised what a monthly payment would cost you.I would be glad to answer questions offline if you would like I can be reached at [email protected]

Fine intro Ken, welcome to the forum!

Ray

Wow. Raw deal, for sure. :long:
But it sounds like your head is in the right place. You're a smart, analytical guy. You will find a way to make the best of this unexpected turn of events, even though you're reeling right now...
Best of luck to you and your family. Keep in touch.

raybonz said:
Fine intro Ken, welcome to the forum! Ray

A warm welcome from here, your timing could not be better!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.