Looks like we need to cut more ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
We've been without power 2 days so far and still out. Found a dead ash that blew over onto the power lines. Naturally it was in an area where they could not get to it with the trucks or other equipment so, we're still without power.

So I think I may be contacting some neighbors and asking to cut dead ash that are near the power line. We don't need more but also do not like being without power. Probably will get a neighbor or two involved with the cutting too.

I keep hearing more and more tales of just how widespread this damage has been and it is amazing. Usually it is a small area but this time it affected at least 5 counties. I've also noticed that all trees that went over are not fell in the same direction so not all straight line winds.

I see Lansing had 103 today. Flint 99. Saginaw 97. Here, hotter than.... Really nasty out there. I went out to put gas in the generator and was all wet when I came back in. The sweat really rolls quickly. Thank God for generators and air conditioners.

Reactions: smokinj
Seems to be inland in the North east & north central US. Many counties in many states.
Big area with lots of trees down & lots of power line damage.
We get those type winds in the winter, no leaves on the trees then helps but many spruce snap off.
Good luck. Keep the gen-set full of fuel &
Stay cool :) Cooler weather in your weather forecast

Power companies are trying to get ahead & cut/prune power line ROWs before storms hit, but some land owners don't want their trees cut.

70° here, nice hot day for us.

Be careful cuttin around those lines, Dennis. Just don't get hurt, and drink lots and lots of water......stay cool, bud!

Reactions: tfdchief
I had some dead ash in my woods blow over and some break off part way up in the storm we had a week ago. Probably a few more widow makers hanging in the tops now. Stay cool and it looks like we get a break from the heat on sunday !

Reactions: ScotO
Stay safe Sav, like S.O. said drink plenty of water. We might get some rain tomorrow but after that not much in the next 10 days.

zap

Reactions: ScotO
One good thing is a lot of the bad or weak trees will be clear of the power lines now. We went through a f4 tornado here and I know what you are saying about trees looking like a knotted mess. For a few miles now we have clear power lines and don't loose power much anymore. The temp here in Southern IL was another record setting day at 107. We sure have set a lot of records this year.
One of the bad things about cutting around those power lines is someone running a generator and back feeding those lines.

Well, the power came back on......but also went back off. Oh well, the generator got a few hours rest.

What appears to have happened is from my line fence to the next road is 1/2 mile. No road there but a power line goes through. Yesterday someone walked in from the other road and found a tree on the wires. He then came and asked me about the best way to get back to it. The way he had intended was not good so I showed him how to get there. All is well. He called the trucks in and they walked in to cut the tree and remove it from the wires. However, we now find there were two trees. Evidently the one he saw coming from the south is not the same one they saw coming from the north. They would have had to go a bit further. So, now we wait once again. However, we do have some relief from the heat today. I guess it is still quite hot just a bit south of us but it is not really bad here.

Status
Not open for further replies.