Loose baffle in hearthstone tribute

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AKev

Sep 3, 2007
The ceramic baffle in my Hearthstone Tribute is loose. From browsing the forums I understand that this it probably ok and that the bits of glue on the baffle are only the remains of the gluing done just for shipping, not indicating, as I originally thought, that I would have to glue the baffle back into place. But it's not clear to me just how the baffle should be positioned within the stove. I never noticed the baffle until it came loose and by then I realized that I had banged it around a bit putting wood in the stove. Is it as simple as just laying loosely directly on the firing tubes? That leaves a couple inches in front of the baffle and the opening to the bottom of the stove pipe is still visible. Seems like a wide "constriction" to the space above the baffle. And there is a piece of metal nearly the length of the stove sitting loosely in a tab-in-slot fixture behind the baffle. Does this serve a purpose in holding the baffle in place? Because it does nothing that I can understand right now.

Thanks for any suggestions
Evan

Hmmmm, the ceramic baffle in my heritage was cotter pinned in place to the tubes. At the rear it rests against the cast iron secondary manifold and in the front it is supported by a stainless steel bracket type thing that sits there by gravity making a decent seal at the front and I can't see the flue. The sides are just really close to the cast iron arms of the secondary manifold. I put the cotter pins back in after removing them and the baffle plate for a little fixing but unless you bump the baffle with wood it should stay put.

Perhaps the piece of metal you describe should be slid to the front?

Hey Evan,

The loose piece of stainless should span the stove, sitting on the front baffle tube so the lowest extension goes behind the tube. The two bent "wings" at the very top should sit on the weldments at left and right.

The baffle board then sits on the rear tube so the back edge touches the backwall. The front edge should fit on the flat edge of the stainless piece. Press down a bit if need be (carefully) and everything should fit snugly.

Attachments

• tribute baffle.jpg
    tribute baffle.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 528
Thanks Tom. Excellent diagram. It all makes sense. Now, why isn't there something like that in the stove manual?

Status
Not open for further replies.