Loose chain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No
All tough, if you change the bar to a different pitch & gauge then the rim/sprocket must match the bar pitch & gauge.

You might have just nailed it. Well under a load not nuder a load. (spel ck gest mi typos )LOL :)

I only have one computer with spell check! ;) Your sprocket not the issue your having! (Its an issue just not this one)

Reactions: PapaDave
Well, well, well.
I completely forgot that I had bought a bar/chain combo from Bailey's sometime in the past (probably about 3 years ago). I wanted to try getting a bit more perceived power from the saw, so I got an 18" thin-kerf .325 setup. Problem was that I didn't know I needed to change the sprocket. It didn't work.
Fast forward to last night while pondering the meaning of all this, and my feeble brain cells started working for a minute and I remembered that bar/chain combo.
Dropped the wife off at work (in town...less than a mile from here) and went to the hardware (maybe a mile from here). They not only had rim sprockets, they had a 3/8 and a .325 for only a buck more than Bailey's. I bought both.
The .325 setup is now on the saw and works great. Now, if only the rain would stop, I could go out and have some fun.
Oh, and it looks like the new-er chain DID stretch. Here's a pic of the original (Husqvarna) chain (L/H) and the new-er one. I might take it to the hardware and have them pull a drive link.
Any thoughts? 1010121340.jpg Both chains have 72 d/l, and are perfectly lined up at the other end. The difference is about 3/8".

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Well, well, well.
I completely forgot that I had bought a bar chain combo from Bailey's sometime in the past (probably about 3 years ago). I wanted to try getting a bit more perceived power from the saw, so I got an 18" thin-kerf .325 setup. Problem was that I didn't know I needed to change the sprocket. It didn't work.
Fast forward to last night while pondering the meaning of all this, and my feeble brain cells started working for a minute and I remembered that bar/chain combo.
Dropped the wife off at work (in town...less than a mile from here) and went to the hardware (maybe a mile from here). They not only had rim sprockets, they had a 3/8 and a .325 for only a buck more than Bailey's. I got both.
The .325 setup is now on the saw and works great. Now, if only the rain would stop, I could go out and have some fun.
Oh, and it looks like the new-er chain DID stretch. Here's a pic of the original chain (L/H) and the new-er one. I might take it to the hardware and have them pull a drive link.
Any thoughts?View attachment 76795

You should have enough adjustment. If its strecth that you cant adjust it any more, get rid of it. Nothing like a chain breaking to wake you up!

Thanks SJ.
I'm going to try it with the rim and if still the same, it's in the trash. Might go in the trash anyway. I can get a new chain for $15 at the hardware.
I don't need to go to the ER again.:mad:

Reactions: smokinj
Agin? Ples delaverate.

On a lighter note....
HOLY fast cutting chainsaw! With the new setup on the saw, I couldn't stand not going out to cut, so I went out to work on the remains of a Maple back in the woods.
Got sidetracked when I remembered the Oak, and went that way instead. :p
Trimmed a few branches and went to work on the trunk. This tree is only about 12-13". It's like a new saw. Got almost 1/2 done before realizing I was soaked, so I walked back to the shed and put the saw away.
Methinks I like my new/old saw.:cool: Color me a happy camper with a slightly lighter wallet.:cool: >>

Way to go Dave! Glad you got it fixed. A C

OK Dave
I got lost with what you did to fix the problem.
Did you put on an new 18" bar. .325 pitch & a new rim .325 pitch , .050 gauge & a new chisel 18" (72 drive link )chain?

You saw with an 18" bar has lots of options. bar, rim(sprocket) & chain have to all match.

Are you sure, the almost new chain that is stretched is .325 pitch & not .375 (3/8) pitch? That would make it a tad longer. & it'd chew up the sprocket.

Thought you had a 20" bar 3/8" (.375) pitch . .050 gauge , 72 drive links?

Either way , glad yo got it all figured out.
Now you are one step closer to becoming a " chain saw guru" :)

Sorry if I wandered into confusion land Dave.
I had a bar/chain combo (thin kerf, .325 pitch, 18") I got from Bailey's a few years ago. I bought a new rim drum and sprocket to fit that, and also another sprocket for the 20", 3/8", .050 g bar/chain combo.
The stretched chain is 20", 72 d/l, 3/8"-.375". The original Husky chain is also 20", 72 d/l, 3/8"-.375". Those were the ones in the comparison photo.
The new 18" setup is a bit lighter with the Rancher (heavy body), so that helps too.
I now need a file for the thin kerf chain.:rolleyes:

Sorry if I wandered into confusion land Dave.
I had a bar/chain combo (thin kerf, .325 pitch, 18") I got from Bailey's a few years ago. I bought a new rim drum and sprocket to fit that, and also another sprocket for the 20", 3/8", .050 g bar/chain combo.
The stretched chain is 20", 72 d/l, 3/8"-.375". The original Husky chain is also 20", 72 d/l, 3/8"-.375". Those were the ones in the comparison photo.
The new 18" setup is a bit lighter with the Rancher (heavy body), so that helps too.
I now need a file for the thin kerf chain.:rolleyes:

I confuse easy :) Got-cha.

My chains don't last as long as yours. I think cutting & dragging the logs makes them dirty & dulls the chain.
Trying a Stihl chain now, but it's filled down to short teeth now, about 8 cords cut with it. Fast cutting round chisel chain 33 RS3 72.
Dry weather today, I may get some cutting in too.

Very good thread. I learned allot. Reminds us all to inspect & maintain our tools. That way they work better when needed.
FYI; Husqy chain is made by Oregon, Oregon is sometimes a few bucks cheaper ;)

Pretty sure the chain roll at the hardware was Oregon.
The bar/chain should have been changed out last year, I just didn't do it.>>
Got to say thanks Dave, for the suggestion to go to the rim setup. I thought about it last year, but couldn't get good info on the difference. Should have come here. DOH!
Now that I know....and how easy it is to change, I'm never going back. ;)
Oh, and confusion land is where I live.;lol

On another note, not all bars are created equally. The book says my Dolmar with a 28" bar should have 93 drive links. The Windsor bar I bought is stamped 92. The 93 dl chains worked until they stretched too much, so I had a link taken out. I think it would work with 91.

Pretty sure the chain roll at the hardware was Oregon.
The bar/chain should have been changed out last year, I just didn't do it.>>
Got to say thanks Dave, for the suggestion to go to the rim setup. I thought about it last year, but couldn't get good info on the difference. Should have come here. DOH!
Now that I know....and how easy it is to change, I'm never going back. ;)
Oh, and confusion land is where I live.;lol

I do it to any saw that needs a sprocket, even my BIL's MS250. I'd do it to a 30cc saw given half an' excuse to do so. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.