loose glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you mean rope gasket like in door gasket material just get some stove gasket cement from your hardware store. What ever the caulking is the stove cement will probably work.

FlipemupAA said:
I have a two sided fireplace the gless is loose in the frames of all four doors what do I use to secure the glass caulking?

You might look for tiny set screws on the edges. Is it falling out loose or just rattling? I've got a double-sided fireplace too and its great when we want to cool the house off!

Do you have a 2 sided fireplace?, or a 2 sided insert / stove?

If it's just a fire place with a duel sided glass doors you will have to goto your manufacture and get a replacement gasket. If its a stove or insert with duel glass door's then you can replace the gasket with gasket rope from many different suppliers. Also check the set screws as stated above.

With a fireplace door, you might be able to tighten the frame or replace the gaskets as mentioned above. Though I would caution against using 'homemade' methods of additional tightening - fireplace screens are usually only tempered glass which will need some room to expand/contract with heat. It should not be terribly loose, [snug might be a good adjective here] but if you try to bond it tight, it may shatter when it heats up.

Status
Not open for further replies.