Loose Metal Chimney Screws: A maintenance consideration

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WarmHouse

Dec 18, 2010
Eastern Washington
I've been using a wood stove to heat our home for 7 years and wanted to share an observation about our metal chimney. I have one that was professionally installed. It runs from my stove unit, up through the ceiling, through the attic, and about 5-1/2 feet about the roof line. Just as the heating season was starting, I happened to be in the attic during a windstorm. I noticed the double-walled chimney shaking and vibrating from the wind. Upon further inspection, I noticed that the small metal screws that hold the chimney segments together had backed out but yet were still in their holes. Everything was flimsy. I then thought how horrible it would be if the chimney buckled or came apart in the attic. Needless to say, I tightened the screws.

Perhaps this is a well-known maintenance issue but I have never heard or read anything about checking the chimney screws. It might be just a simple measure for people to check those screws and tighten them if necessary. With the vibration from wind, they may loosen on their own over time. There are no lock washers or anything else to keep them tight. Has anyone else ever noticed this?

I got some rigid liner to ss install at my BIL's house up the fireplace chimney. I haven't looked, but I think there are some stainless rivets included. I was thinking that I'd rather use stainless machine screws and nuts, but they'd be hard to fasten in the 4' sections of pipe...

I guess the screws could become loose because of wind. I would want to know why is there movement of the pipe inside the house? Maybe the chimney needs extra securing outside or inside , to keep the pipe from being blown into motion. Were the holes drilled a little on the big size for the screw? Maybe a larger diameter screw would stay tight. I don't know just my thoughts.

What brand of chimney is it? Some brands use locking bands or a snap fit along with the screws. May want to make sure the installer didnt skip any steps

Thanks everyone who answered. The manufacturer of the chimney is Warnock Hersey. The screws snugged up tight when I took a socket to them and did not appear to be placed in oversized holes. I suppose it is entirely possible that when the chimney was installed, the installers neglected to tighten those screws. I never studied it that close until I noticed it shaking... some 7 years after it was installed. In any case, I like the idea of securing the chimney either inside the attic or on the roof. Where is a good place to get a band and brace type affair??

Status
Not open for further replies.