loosing heat or pellet build up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
I am loosing heat out my pipe. I close the damper just a little, gain a few degrees but then the pellets start to pile up and the flame is weak which leads to lower heat. So what do you think is going wrong here.

My guess is it needs more combustion air or the stove and vent needs a good cleaning..

Gio said:
My guess is it needs more combustion air or the stove and vent needs a good cleaning..

I know nothing about Kozi's but I'll second the combustion air/vent restriction.

Obviously keeping the stove clean is important, but more burn air just sends the heated air through the stove even faster. It sounds like your heat exchanger system isn't working efficiently.....is that cleaned often?

So if you do the leaf blower, You get good heat because you can run with less damper. Once the stove gets a bit dirty you start getting pellet burn issues?

Running with the damper on the low side is causing the stove to load up. Do the full clean and leaf blower again. Don't run the stove with the damper that low. The stove will stay cleaner longer.

If I remember right you are asking quite a bit from that small stove. I also remember you saying its runs pretty much maxed out most of the time. I really sounds like the stove is just too small for your needs. If you really want more heat? May just be best to look into getting something with more BTU's available. You beating a dead horse and its giving you all your gonna get. I know its tough and money is tight(same here!). Or you really need to up the insulation and weather proof the crap out of your house.

There really isn't any other way to over come heat loss. You either need to fix the heat loss or Over power it with more BTU's.

Wish there was an easier or cheaper way but that's the reality of it. How did SmokeyTheBear put that. Adding more insulation is like getting a free ton of pellets every year! Or something like that.

Good luck and I hope you get this figured out.
jay

yes, I am asking too much from my stove to heat my no insulation house. However, I feel that my stove should be putting out more than 180-190 degree heat even on high !!!! (pellets used = lignetics and dry creek)

chrisasst said:
yes, I am asking too much from my stove to heat my no insulation house. However, I feel that my stove should be putting out more than 180-190 degree heat even on high !!!! (pellets used = lignetics and dry creek)

Have you measured the vent heat?

jtakeman said:
chrisasst said:

Yes... It is currently 165 degrees

I leaf blowd ( is that a word) today. I am currently running on high with the damper pretty much shut all the way. Pellets are not building up, been running like that for about 9 hours. The build up will happen overnight, or when I am not home. Usually when it happens. I am getting 210 degrees out of the stove. 74 degrees in ,my stove room. It is 70 degrees in my cold spot in my house. (16 degrees outside) So right now it seems to be working, until tomorrow comes.

chrisasst said:
jtakeman said:
chrisasst said:

Yes... It is currently 165 degrees

I leaf blowd ( is that a word) today. I am currently running on high with the damper pretty much shut all the way. Pellets are not building up, been running like that for about 9 hours. The build up will happen overnight, or when I am not home. Usually when it happens. I am getting 210 degrees out of the stove. 74 degrees in ,my stove room. It is 70 degrees in my cold spot in my house. (16 degrees outside) So right now it seems to be working, until tomorrow comes.

Now that the stove is good and clean. Try opening the damper more, Maybe you can find a happy medium between to much out the vent and stove loading up. The more air you give the stove should keep it cleaner overall. It will be a balancing act but maybe there is a good spot somewhere in between.

Also like macman said, Keep the heat exchangers as clean as possible to extract the most heat you can from the stove. Pull the cleaning rod a few times a day. Clean them a few times a week in the cold season.

Stay warm

Status
Not open for further replies.