Lopi 1250 Rear Fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 20, 2014
Eden, NY
Hi!

I am new to this forum and so far have found many of the posts very helpful!

Last year I bought a house with a Lopi 1250 free standing stove set in an existing fireplace - I was not very happy with the heat distribution, so for this season I want to install the optional rear fan on the unit.

Does anyone know where I can purchase the fan for this model? The only site I could find was rockmountainstove.com and it was $300. Are there any other sites that would carry this fan?

Thank you so much!

Zach

The fan on the Lopi isnt going to drastically increase the heat output of your 1250. A small/quiet fan mounted on the floor at the entrance of the room where the stove is located blowing towards the stove will do much more for getting the heat out of the stove. .

The fan on the Lopi isnt going to drastically increase the heat output of your 1250. A small/quiet fan mounted on the floor at the entrance of the room where the stove is located blowing towards the stove will do much more for getting the heat out of the stove. .

Ok good point - so pointing a fan towards the stove will do more than a blower unit? What is the point of stoves having blowers then?

Also, last season I tried putting a fan in front of the stove facing towards the room - thinking that it would suck in the hot air and force it out. Is that not a proper way to move heat out?

thanks!

The fan does a pretty good job on my Endeavor. The fan pointing to the stove helps but isn't the end all.

http://rockymountainstove.com/woodstoveblower99000138.aspx

99000138.jpg

Also, last season I tried putting a fan in front of the stove facing towards the room - thinking that it would suck in the hot air and force it out. Is that not a proper way to move heat out?

NO it is not. hot air is less dense than cold, you want to push air along the floor(cold air) toward the stove where are it warms it will rise and you will begin to create a convection loop.
Wood%20S1.gif

I do not have a blower on my stove. I use fans to encourage a convection loop, and after it becomes established, I can turn off the fans for that cycle of my stove. Usually 20-30 min after I have reloaded. I have no blower on my stove and heat a 1100 sq ft ranch just fine. I borrowed one and saw no improvement, in fact it was harder to get the heat out of the stove room as the blower is mid level in the room and interrupts the convection loop, keeping heat from leaving the stove room, so i saw a colder house but a hotter stove room with a blower.

The Lopi Answer/1250 is a double-jacketed stove. The rear-blower blows air between the stove and the jacket.

I have a Lopi Answer (1250) with the rear blower installed in my fireplace. Having the blower on vastly increases the heat into the room compared to having the blower off. I would say that this would be $300 well spent.

Status
Not open for further replies.