LOPI 380/440 Feedback Wanted

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TX-L

Burning Hunk
Sep 1, 2010
Tug Hill State Forest, NY
I looked at a Lopi 380/440 last night. It was manufactured in 1989, and is in excellent shape; I would say it has been lightly used. The firebrick baffle is completely intact, no warping or missing brackets, no cracks in any of the firebricks, door gasket in good shape and door shuts tight. There is a single perforated tube in the front of the firebox, where the exhaust gases and smoke exit. This looks like an early attempt at some cleaner secondary burn, the seller of the stove didn't know what it was for. There is only one combustion air damper, so it must feed the door air wash and the secondary burn tube simultaneously. He said the glass stayed very clean when burning. There are no etchings of ducks, elk, deer, or grapes on the glass, and it's a single door.

I will not be using this in my house, as you can likely determine from my signature. But I would like to put it in the camp/cabin, and replace the old six griddle cook stove that is currently used for heating the place. It works well, but you have to stay and feed the tiny firebox wood every couple of hours. Many times we have returned from a day of hunting, fishing, or snowmobiling to a cold camp. I believe this stove would correct that situation.

What does anyone feel this would be worth? The seller is asking $450, said that's what he paid for it, but told me to make him an offer. It's been for sale for about a month, so I am going to offer $350. Any thoughts? Thanks ahead of time!

the 380 is nearly identical to the modern endeavor stove by lopi... I think the only difference being is the door and the bypass damper (or lack therof)... Its a great stove, 450 is a good price. Spec out the endeavor, and you'll see what the 380 can do for you.

Hi,

There is indeed a bypass damper at the back of this stove. Looking at the Lopi website, the older model I looked at is nearly identical to the Endeavor model (except for the single secondary burn tube). Same door shape, legs, bypass, combustion air handle and location, and overall size. The tag on the back of the stove identifies it as being manufactured in 1989.

Hell, I'll only have to sell about 7 face cords of firewood this fall to pay for it, and I have 43 face cords cut/split/stacked in the yard from last year right now! And about 10 more at camp waiting for the FEET of snow to melt (just shoveled 5' off the camp roof 2 weeks ago. Tug Hill lake effect). But anyway, back to the stove: I think I have to get it.

if you don't, I will!!!

I bought the stove for $375. Looking forward to putting it in the camp, have to wait for snow to melt first. I think I got a great stove for a great price.

Status
Not open for further replies.