1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Lopi 380/440 question

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by Redbear86, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Redbear86

Redbear86 Member

Loc:
    SE Idaho
    I picked up a lopi 380-440, it looks like an endeavor but This must be an older model, I dont see any bypass damper, or any damper, I assume its not quite as efficient as the endeavor anyone have a manual or know about how efficient they are?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. arborealbuffoon

arborealbuffoon New Member

Loc:
    Southeast Iowa
    The old girl sitting here has front and rear (N-S) air controls. Firebrick baffle, but no damper or bypass. Highly recommend installing a flippy-damper in the flu. Then it seems to work quite effectively. In fact, I "drive" the stove with the damper only once the thing is rocking and my air controls are set. Awesomely overbuilt stove.
  3. Redbear86

Redbear86 Member

Loc:
    SE Idaho
    Thanks for the input! I'd love to hear from an old lopi dealer, do you notice your glass getting dirty very often? Have you ever noticed a secondary burn?
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
  5. Redbear86

Redbear86 Member

Loc:
    SE Idaho
    I did notice that thread when i did my initial search for info. Mine is a model older, no bypass/damper in it. It has one air tube in it but i think its mainly an air wash for the glass door- i wonder if the air was provides any secondary burn? I have a VC Acclaim ll also, which i know runs fairly efficient, but i do like the endeavors log capacity and ease of use more. Sooo, i was wondering if the VC is terribly more efficient or not- kinda splitting hairs i know. I can sell either one and come out way ahead- main reason i bought them!

PS- would a damper in the pipe allow me to get enough pressure to get a secondary burn?
  6. arborealbuffoon

arborealbuffoon New Member

Loc:
    Southeast Iowa
    The glass stays fairly clean with appropriate firebox temperatures and dry wood. The only time it gets much buildup on the glass is when the occasional less-than-dry piece finds its way into the stove.

I get excellent secondary burns when I close the damper in the pipe which is installed about two feet above the stove. I also stumbled upon some all purpose cleaner that wipes the glass absolutely clean without any scrubbing at all. I suppose I actually clean the glass every week or two.

I have owned a number of stoves over the years, and this old Lopi ranks right up there in my opinion. I also find the thing excellent for cooking. The step top design gives you two different temperatures for this, and adding a trivet under your pan allows for a third and lower temperature range.
  7. Redbear86

Redbear86 Member

Loc:
    SE Idaho
    Thank you for the info Buffoon! Yea that was my only concern weather or not I could get a secondary burn outta of it, looks like i'll be hooking her up this summer, probably sell my resolute acclaim II- I got that 380/440 for $100 so i'll definitely get my money out of it. My 97 has a 460 in it too, will pass anything but a gas station
  8. postal302

postal302 New Member

Loc:
    Northwest Washington State
  9. Redbear86

Redbear86 Member

Loc:
    SE Idaho
    yea i found that too- it doesn't say anything about operation or efficiencey