Lopi AGP insert comments and question(s)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

haff99

Jan 15, 2015
pennsylvania
Been reading the forum for a long time but never posted. Anyways, I just got a LOPI AGP insert. So far I like it. I had a lopi pioneer bay insert before and this is definitely a step up. I thought I post some comments and few questions.

1. I can't believe how clean the glass stays. After several bags of burning, barely a spot on the glass.
2. The fire is very consistent. The flame doesn't vary much, like going really big then low like my old insert did.
3. I notice after running for several hours, it appears the ash doesn't get pushed out burn platform on the sides as well as the middle. The ash in the middle pushed out easily as expected with auger right in the center, but the burn platform loses an inch or so on both sides with a lot of ash there. It does push off the sides but not as readily as the center. I guess with a higher burn rate more pellets would push it easier as opposed to the medium heat that I typically run. So every day I have to brush the ash off. No big deal and I'm not sure if it would even be an issue if I didn't, but I notice this every time. You can actually see the flame width get slightly smaller due to the ash on the side.

So here is my big question. Is there any trick to reinstalling the top liner????? I know it says you shouldn't have to do this till after a ton or so, but I figured let me remove all the liners and do a good clean to see how much ash gets behind the liners. After several bags it wasn't much at all. The problem was reinstalling the top liner. The back and two sides are no problem, but it must have taken me 30+ minutes to get the top liner reinstalled. I assume to do everything in reverse, but I had to really push the side liners hard against the stove to line up the side slots. YOu have to angle the top liner just right to get it to snap into the back liner as well. It isn't a very loose fit either. I did a good number putting some scratches on the liners. Not that it really matters, but I couldn't believe how difficult it was to get back on. Has anyone else had this issue? Am I doing something wrong? I tried installing one side with the other side liner out and then try to add the other side liner, but no luck. I notice on the video they give you they don't show reinstalling the liners.

Welcome to the forum:) Glad to hear that the new insert is a big improvement. Can't help you with the big question as I have a free-standing with majolica sides. They can be a test of patience too.

We like pics of the stove ... or it never happened;)

Welcome to the forum.

'll be interested to hear your comments after the honeymoon phase is over. the flame being consistent is not necessarily a good thing as it should adjust I think to the temperature of the room at least that's what theHarman's do.

Welcome to the forum.

'll be interested to hear your comments after the honeymoon phase is over. the flame being consistent is not necessarily a good thing as it should adjust I think to the temperature of the room at least that's what theHarman's do.

I'm running it on manual mode so would it really care what the room temp is? I'm not using the thermostat settings. Our house is set up a little odd where the fireplace is so I want it putting out constant heat. our heat pump fan actually does a good job of circulating the heat around the house so the room where our stove is doesn't get super hot, like it would if I shut the door and didn't have air flow upstairs. It seems to keep putting out a much more consistent heat compared to my old insert.

I'm running it on manual mode so would it really care what the room temp is? I'm not using the thermostat settings. Our house is set up a little odd where the fireplace is so I want it putting out constant heat. our heat pump fan actually does a good job of circulating the heat around the house so the room where our stove is doesn't get super hot, like it would if I shut the door and didn't have air flow upstairs. It seems to keep putting out a much more consistent heat compared to my old insert.
Putting the baffles back can be a challenge sometimes. I usually put it back together in the following order:
back, top, left side, right sides. I hold the top in place with one hand while placing the side baffle in place with the other hand.
Yes that design is a pain, not simple at all. When I call tech for yearly maintenance I will pay close attention as he tears the insert down and puts it back. Overall I am enjoying this insert and since October I have only had to turn the furnace on twice when temps were in the single digits.
Enjoy the heat...

I have the freestanding model. If you run it on its lowest setting does the flame stay consistent, or does it shrink far down into the burn grate, then more pellets feed, then a few inches above the flame guide, then repeat?

I have the freestanding model. If you run it on its lowest setting does the flame stay consistent, or does it shrink far down into the burn grate, then more pellets feed, then a few inches above the flame guide, then repeat?
On the lowest setting there is barely a flame. I keep mine on medium so that the upstairs rooms will be warm. I run it on manual so I don't lose any heat. I only use the T-Stat in above 50 degree weather.

I usually run it on the third or fourth line from "low". Doing this keeps most of the house warm.
I think the free standing model is larger so it pushes out more heat. In order for me to get the heat upstairs into the rooms I have to set my insert to medium.

the lowest I run my insert is a little below medium. So if I extrapolate down, what you described makes sense. On medium, my flame ranges from a few inches below the top liner to hitting the top liner. That is a lot more consistent then my old stove that would frequently go from very low to very high flame.

Status
Not open for further replies.