Lopi AGP vs Harman p68

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hey boys, getting ready to order the stove and install parts. anything i'm missing here other than possibly some RTV?

going straight out the wall, don't need to go up at all.

Shopping Cart
Remove
Item #
Description
Options
Qty
Rate
Amount
media.nl
2594592PelletVent Pro 4" Pipe Extension-Black-18" length$98.06$98.06
media.nl
2594656PelletVent Pro Wall Thimble Air Intake Kit - 4"$141.74$141.74
media.nl
2594650PelletVent Pro 4" Round Horizontal Cap$49.08$49.08
Total $288.88

You will probably also need the appliance adapter piece to connect the stove to 18" pipe. The appliance adapter usually is installed on the stove with Hi Temp RTV.
Also buy a good surge protector to plug your stove into.

Why not go with 3" pipe if you're just going straight out?....and what stove did you decide on? Doh!...disregard ques #2

Would it not be better to have some rise in the vent and not just go straight out?

Why not go with 3" pipe if you're just going straight out?....and what stove did you decide on? Doh!...disregard ques #2

I would assume that more flow is better unless there is a reason these stoves run better with some backpressure/restriction?

hey boys, getting ready to order the stove and install parts. anything i'm missing here other than possibly some RTV?

Shopping Cart
Remove
Item #
Description
Options
Qty
Rate
Amount
media.nl
media.nl
media.nl
Total $288.88

That stuff seems a bit pricey.
I bought all my pipe from Lowes. http://www.lowes.com/pd_70661-76845...Search=4+"dura+vent"&productId=1193737&rpp=32

If you need the pipe black just paint it with hi temp paint.
Good luck.

Shopping Cart
Remove
Item #
Description
Options
Qty
Rate
Amount
media.nl
media.nl
media.nl
Total $288.88

Check out Lowes. The prices can't be beat. http://www.lowes.com/Search=pellet+...051&N=0&newSearch=true&Ntt=pellet+stove+pipe#!

If you need black pipe just paint it with hi temp paint.
Good luck.

I would assume that more flow is better unless there is a reason these stoves run better with some backpressure/restriction?
Not totally sure, but any horizontal install I've seen was 3". I think 4" is primarily used when there's a long run of pipe and the extra draft it produces is advantageous in compensating for the additional pipe length.

stove starter is missing and i would change the 18 for a 24

ok I just ordered everything including the adapter in 3". going to paint the interior pipe black.

Question on clearance for the exhaust from the ground, does the exhaust termination need to be a specific height off the ground? The exterior wall is at ground level. outside is nothing but some old shrubs which i'll rip out with the truck. was thinking on putting gravel below the exhaust area for added safety.

ordered in 24 also I have a good starter already but thanks!
Stove starter make the transition from the back of the stove to the pellet pipe could also be called appliance adaptor. you need to be 2 ft above the ground with the termination cap

Stove starter make the transition from the back of the stove to the pellet pipe could also be called appliance adaptor. you need to be 2 ft above the ground with the termination cap

Ok gotcha, I ordered an adaptor as well.

You'll need 2 3/8" OAK flex pipe as well. It can be tough to find, though your Harman dealer should have some in stock. If not, any METALLIC flex pipe will work, as long as you err on the side of larger. Pick the brains of the folks at your local BB store if you can't find the exact size.

Took a good look at my exterior. Cap should be 30"+ above the ground.

You'll need 2 3/8" OAK flex pipe as well. It can be tough to find, though your Harman dealer should have some in stock. If not, any METALLIC flex pipe will work, as long as you err on the side of larger. Pick the brains of the folks at your local BB store if you can't find the exact size.

Thanks I was looking into that. I'll contact my dealer tomorrow regarding the flex pipe. No luck finding a 2.5" flex in a quick search... 3" is everywhere.

That's probably your best bet. You could use the 3" stuff but you'll have to get a couple adapters to make it work. An auto parts store would probably have them, but they won't be cheap. Then again, what your dealer gives you for a price likely won't be cheap either...so be prepared to say "how much a foot!?"

WHen you install the oak kit, make sure the little hole where the fresh air will come in is set up so the metal tab partly covering it is pointing down (to NOT allow water in) instead of pointing up (like I did!!!) :)

WHen you install the oak kit, make sure the little hole where the fresh air will come in is set up so the metal tab partly covering it is pointing down (to NOT allow water in) instead of pointing up (like I did!!!) :)

Good info

this will arouse some ire......my opinion....that P68 will eat up that Lopi and all its relatives for breakfast, then look for more......

You may have noticed, the same site that I gave you the thimble link from, also sells flex pipe. It's only in 25' lengths for $140. Break it down to around $5.50 a foot and that MIGHT be around what yer dealer will charge, although I think mine charges a bit more. Whatever the price is, if it were me, I'd just fork over the cash for the right stuff and be done with it. Tape the ends on and you're good to go. My guess is you'll only need 3'.

Status
Not open for further replies.