Lopi Answer A2 question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

csierotnik

Dec 10, 2010
Syracuse, NY
I have an older answer A2 stove. I have a question about the damper. I start my fire in my stove - it always starts with no problems. I have a strong draft - insulated ss liner in an interior chimney. I leave my door open a crack for 20 minutes to make sure the wood is burning well. Then I close the door. After about 30 minutes I close my damper at the top of my stove. I get it to about 1/2 closed in slow increments and the fire always goes out. If I open the damper back up the fire starts up again. I am trying to get the longest burn possible but I can only close my damper about 1/4 of the way. Any thoughts. I am burning all hardwoods - that have been seasoning for about 8 months. I know the wood is not ideal but it burns easy and that is all I have. Any suggestions or experience with this stove?
Thanks

No experience with the stove but it could be a bunch of different things. It sounds like you already know the wood is the issue. Wood or the draft is pretty much what you're dealing with if the stove is working properly. Can you describe the chimney?(height, number of turns, 90's/45's etc)

Fuel is a big issue. OP says it "burns easy" but that is not the case if you close the damper (primary air control?) and the fire goes our especially after a total of 50 minuets of burning with door open and/or air open full. It could be a series of things but I would suspect fuel is a major issue. So in addition to rdust questions about chimney, give more info on fuel, species, when it was c/s/s, how it was seasoned, etc.

Thanks for the replies. I am guessing its the wood. I cut the wood. It was c/s/s last April. I was thinking about trying those eco logs and seeing if there is any difference. Thanks again. The chimeny is 22 ft tall. There is a ss insulated liner up it. There is only on 30 degree elbow in it. The rest is s straight shot. I know the drafte is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.