Lopi Answer air problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdeuel

Jun 5, 2007
Hello All-

Scratching my head here. Have a Lopi Answer freestanding stove that's been trouble free for years. This weekend (it's at our cabin) it's been burning poorly. Decided to toss in a half Duraflame tonight, and realized the burn was t changing when I moved the air control In and out. Flame stays orange and lazy. Crack the door, and get smoke billowing out. Cleaned the stove on Friday, and there are no ashes directly in front of the door. Lots of smoke out the chimney.

Any ideas? It's freezing! (In California, 39 is freezing...)

Thanks-

Jeff

Just to be clear, the burn Wasn't changing when I moved the control...

Is your wood real dry? Chimney or cap isn't plugged? 39* isn't going to create killer draft...how tall is your stack?

Hello All-

Scratching my head here. Have a Lopi Answer freestanding stove that's been trouble free for years. This weekend (it's at our cabin) it's been burning poorly. Decided to toss in a half Duraflame tonight, and realized the burn was t changing when I moved the air control In and out. Flame stays orange and lazy. Crack the door, and get smoke billowing out. Cleaned the stove on Friday, and there are no ashes directly in front of the door. Lots of smoke out the chimney.

Any ideas? It's freezing! (In California, 39 is freezing...)

Thanks-

Jeff

Lots of smoke out the chimney and smoke billowing out the door sounds like bad draft and bad primary air. Is the air control rod connected? Could have broken loose. Is the flue cap partially blocked, or is the flue itself blocked? Check airflow from primary to cap. Something must be amiss there.

Sounds like something is plugged. Check the flue cap and if it's clear, clean the chimney.

Sounds like something is plugged. Check the flue cap and if it's clear, clean the chimney.
Thanks guys-it seems like the rod is connected, I'll pull it apart when it cools and yank the cap tomorrow.

Hi Guys-

Just made it back down here to my place. Went up on the roof and pulled the cap-the entire inside of the screen was blocked with a thin, crackly layer of gunk. I banged it against my hand, put it back on, and have the fire a-blazing. Just wanted to close this one out-I hate when folks ask advise and never follow up. Cheers-Jeff

Jeff, that sounds like you have a good deal of creosote building up. I would check the chimney and clean it now, if it needs it.

Status
Not open for further replies.