Lopi Answer Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
dakotarnk said:
The zc was installed per all clearences, Was midly inspect by building inspector, but I dont think he really knew much about fireplaces, I think i can get under the unit to install some more bracing, here might be a dumb question but I wont know till I ask, the fire brick comes out of the fireplace before I install the insert right? Thanks for all the good advice, I also will refer to the manual that lopi emailed me.

dont take the brick out until you read it in the manual AND IT WASNT A DUMB QUESTION! i am guessing but i would think no not to take it out , it helps insulate the fireplace itself which is close clearanced to combustibles.

dakotarnk said:
The zc was installed per all clearences, Was midly inspect by building inspector, but I dont think he really knew much about fireplaces, I think i can get under the unit to install some more bracing, here might be a dumb question but I wont know till I ask, the fire brick comes out of the fireplace before I install the insert right? Thanks for all the good advice, I also will refer to the manual that lopi emailed me.

Sounds good, a bit of extra bracing won't hurt, long as you meet the same clearances as the original. On the firebrick, I'd agree with Mike, don't take it out unless one of the manuals (either for the fireplace or the insert EXPLICITLY says to remove it. While it is weight, it is distributed weight that will actually help spread the load of the insert, in addition to providing needed insulation.

Short of asking if it's OK to light the stove with a gallon of gas and a blowtorch :gulp: there isn't much you can ask in the way of questions we would think are dumb...

Gooserider

I need more details of the existing setup like age can you post a picture? ok the mnufacturer of the original ZC what will the verticle height of the chimney be
is the esixting chimney in a chace. When not running the stove ever experience incomming cold drafts is the chase insulated Make of the existing ZC chimney
You may need to cut out some of the damper and install a block off plate

The more details one has, the better we can narrow down a safe cost effective solution. I would have never posted prior post, If I knew these facts

elkimmeg said:
I need more details of the existing setup like age can you post a picture? ok the mnufacturer of the original ZC what will the verticle height of the chimney be
is the esixting chimney in a chace. When not running the stove ever experience incomming cold drafts is the chase insulated Make of the existing ZC chimney
You may need to cut out some of the damper and install a block off plate

The more details one has, the better we can narrow down a safe cost effective solution. I would have never posted prior post, If I knew these facts

Most of you issues may be addressed in a new ZC post I just posted

Elk
I will get some pictures on as soon as possibe, I did read the zc post and found it very helpful, I will try to get all the info on
the zc for you also. Is it possible to have the insert set out aways on the zc, It does have a place to install the pipe on the back as well as the top. It seems to me that I would get more heat if it sat out . I havnt measures yet but I think all the clearences to combustibles would be good, I may need to extend the hearth. Thanks for sharing your knowledge

dakotarnk said:
Elk
I will get some pictures on as soon as possibe, I did read the zc post and found it very helpful, I will try to get all the info on
the zc for you also. Is it possible to have the insert set out aways on the zc, It does have a place to install the pipe on the back as well as the top. It seems to me that I would get more heat if it sat out . I havnt measures yet but I think all the clearences to combustibles would be good, I may need to extend the hearth. Thanks for sharing your knowledge

The advice of just about everyone is that you will get more heat out of an insert when it sticks out of the fireplace as far as possible., so that part is fine. Just make sure that there is enough clearance to any trim / mantels, etc., and check the manual for how far out it can be. You are also almost certain to need an extension to the hearth - NOTE - there has been a recent code change that may not be in your manual, the hearth must extend at least 18" in front of any loading door (it used to be 16" in the US, but no longer)

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.