Lopi Berkshire burner shuts off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adk Propane

Sep 23, 2013
Hi. We just bought this stove (love it in general) and had it professionally installed running LP. It's been cool so we've been running it steadily downstairs to heat the whole house. Periodically, however, it just shuts itself off (usually after 4 or 5 hours.) I am not using the thermostat on the remote... just on via remote. I switched to continuous on pilot to see if the pilot stays on when the burner goes off and it does so I assume there is no gas interruption issue plus everything hot in the house uses propane with no problems. Is there some kind of safety that shuts this thing off after a certain amount of time in case you forget about it? I see no documentation on that if there is. Any ideas. The unit is brand new.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sounds like it may be switching off via the high heat switch. If you leave it alone, does it eventually come back on?

Yes, it always comes on again as soon as I notice it is off. I've never actually been in the room when it shut off. I know the remote will shut it off when it senses 99 degrees but it is no where near that.... maybe upper 70's at times in the room. Does the stove itself have a high heat cutoff not through the remote?

When you say it shuts off, do you mean the gas flame or the blower fan? If the flame, check to see if it is in the Timer mode on the remote.

The gas flame. The fan cycles on and off sometimes but I know that's normal. There is no timer mode on the remote. I only have the basic remote which can work via thermostat or manually. Maybe I'll take the remote out of the equation and just turn it on via the switch and see if it still does it. Love your quotes by the way.

Is the Comfort Control on? That will vary the flame. Otherwise try it totally manually.

The comfort control was on the first time it did it and I turned it off. It has still done it without it being on.

Is the Comfort Control on? That will vary the flame. Otherwise try it totally manually.
The comfort control is actually another issue. I've got a lot of sooting when I use Comfort Control even with the intake vents wide open. I have to cut the flames way back to use comfort control which kind of defeats the purpose. I can run it wide open without comfort control without sooting.

The comfort control is actually another issue. I've got a lot of sooting when I use Comfort Control even with the intake vents wide open. I have to cut the flames way back to use comfort control which kind of defeats the purpose. I can run it wide open without comfort control without sooting.

Sooting is a whole nother (aeration) problem. Check your log set up. You may have one too close to the pilot assembly. If you do, the thermopile gets too hot & the millivolt generation becomes erratic or stops completely, shutting the gas flow down. Thermopiles work on a temperature differential between the top & the bottom & if the entire thing gets hot, it'll shut the burner off. Once it cools down to a certain point, the millivolt generation will start again. The magnets in the valve will open & allow the gas to flow to the burner. It may just be that the t-pile is ready to sh*t the bed...

Sooting is a whole nother (aeration) problem. Check your log set up. You may have one too close to the pilot assembly. If you do, the thermopile gets too hot & the millivolt generation becomes erratic or stops completely, shutting the gas flow down. Thermopiles work on a temperature differential between the top & the bottom & if the entire thing gets hot, it'll shut the burner off. Once it cools down to a certain point, the millivolt generation will start again. The magnets in the valve will open & allow the gas to flow to the burner. It may just be that the t-pile is ready to sh*t the bed...
Thanks for the ideas. I think you're onto something with the thermopile. I am also having trouble starting the pilot in "green" mode where the pilot shuts off and restarts. It takes it 3 or 4 times to stay on. The pilot lights right away but it (the thermopile) apparently doesn't know it's been lit because it shuts it off a few seconds later then tries to restart it. I sooted things up pretty badly trying to use the comfort control before it was adjusted properly and didn't thoroughly clean things out (just the window.) Maybe if I clean the thermopile and everything else real well, my problems will go away. Thanks again.

If you're still getting sooting, check your air shutter setting. Too little air will lead to soot & generally it is more pronounced with LP. Refer to the aeration or air shutter section in your manual...Adjust your air shutter to full open & if the flames are too blue, close it in 1/8" increments until they are aesthetically pleasing to your eye. If the flames get to the point of being orangey with dark tips, open the air shutter, again in 1/8" increments until the flames turn yellow. Lock the screw & leave it alone. Chances are you will NEVER have to adjust it again...

Status
Not open for further replies.