Lopi Berkshire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tinkabranc

Minister of Fire
Oct 23, 2007
South Coast MA
Does anyone have one of these? Any thoughts or comments?
thanks

I sold half a dozen of them and burned one in our showroom for 4 years. I swapped it out intermittently with a 40k btu VC Radiance and the Berkshire at less BTU seemed to radiate more heat and do a little better job. I also really enjoyed the aromatherapy kit. The only problem that I ever had with that stove was on one of the very first models when converted to propane there was what the factory called a "delayed ignition". I replaced the old steel backed burner with a cast iron one with new mounting brackets (all no cost to customer) and it was fixed and ran beautifully.

Thanks Shane. We have been looking to install a gas freestanding for the other end
of the house where the heat from the pellet stove does not quite reach. We have been
checking out the gas stoves because we already have NG in the house and a wood stove is
not an option for us. We have been looking at a couple of makes but we are trying to narrow it down
to "the one".

The Lopi Berkshire is a very nice looking stove. We looked at one before we purchased our Jotul Firelight II DV 600.
The stove we were considering had the optional blower kit, soapstone side pannels, fire brick kit. and even an optional soapstone steamer.
The only problem, the stove we thought would be a little to small looking on are existing hearth and we were looking at something in the 40,000 BTU range and I believe the Birkshire was in the middle 30,000 BTU range.
But the stove was a very attractive unit and seemed to have a nice flame pattern to it.
Your lucky you have NG instead of Lp, because we have a Heat & Glow FB Grand Insert that is Lp fired, and it suffers from sometimes hard, delayed ignition.
LP and NG are entirely two distinctly different fuel supplies, but where we live, only LP is avaiable.
Good luck on your puchase, if it is the Lopi Berkshire, I am sure you will be quite happy with it, especially if you get all the options.
Travis Industries is a very good manufacturer from what I understand.

The other two stoves we have been looking at is the Jotul Firelight and the Enviro Westport.
In my area, each stove is sold by a different dealer so each one we talk to knocks the other
brands down, so it is hard to decide which one would be the best option for us.

Even though I plan to purchase a blower with it, I want the ability to run the stove without
it when power is out, and it must have a turndown option. Obviously price is a factor too.
Lugging out the generator by myself this winter is getting old fast.

The Jotul Firelight II Stoves have a 50% turn down feature on the gas control valve and can be used with or without electric power. If the power goes off the stove still operates normally but obviously the blower does not work, but you still get plenty of radiant heat.
The Lopi Berkshire should operate the same way but I don't know about the turn down rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.