LOPI burning Corn and Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jkp77

Oct 29, 2008
Southern RI
Hi all !

I bought a Lopi last November and it worked great all winter burning wood pellets. This year I wanted to try burning corn. SO I bought a ton of corn and started mixing 50/50 and dumping them into the hopper. The problem is half the time the stove does not ignite the mix in the firepot. When it does, the heat is alot warmer than regular wood pellets. Is there something I have to change? Possibly the air flow? (I did reduce the air flow and it did work alittle better) How about the programming board? Fan higher or lower?
Another issue, the glass gets real dirty to the point I can't even see inside. I used to wash the glass with a heavy dose of soap which it stayed clean for quite a while. Any other "solvents" or tricks to keep that glass clean for any length of time?
I appreciate any reply!!

I noticed this too when I burned our showroom model with a 50/50 corn mix. It didn't do so well. I told our rep about it and he held up a pellet and piece of corn, pointing out it took two corn kernels to equal one pellet and then told me the 50/50 mix was by volume not weight. So it's actually 75/25.

Well thats interesting. I di not know that..
I also was told I could burn straight corn with the Lopi, no mixing with wood. I have not done that yet...

That's a new development since I left. They may have made adjustments to the unit to allow it to burn corn more readily, though from your description it sounds like it's about the same.

Well.. I will contact my dealer in RI.
Do you know of the warranty policy for Lopi and if the visits from the dealer are included in that?

It's only covered if it's a product defect. I'd consult with your dealer about charges prior to him coming out. On the one that I burned in the showroom I always ran it with the air wide open, and got similar results to those that jkp77 got. Once I did the 75/25 mix it was better, but I still liked burning pellets the best. The unit seemed to burn cleaner and more reliably.

Status
Not open for further replies.