Lopi Cape Cod

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

charly

The wife and I were going by the local Lopi dealer today, so I said let's check out the Cape Cod.. Well the wife loves the stove with the big glass door... That stove is one big boy... Next thing I know the dealer has some kindling and a few sticks of wood and shows us how the auto light works... Nice guy, right from Germany, quite the accent.. They are also coming out with the same stove but in a smaller 2000 sq ft heating capacity stove verses the 2500-3000 sq ft. stove. I was impressed..

That smaller one might just be a winner for alot of people.
I always thought a smaller brother Progress would be a winner also.
The big glass stoves are nice.

I saw the smaller version of the Cape Cod at the HPBA show in Orlando a few weeks ago. I think it will be a big hit for a lot of people. They have no official release date yet though, it's been in the works for a while I was told. It was at the show last year, and still hasn't been released.

I saw the smaller version of the Cape Cod at the HPBA show in Orlando a few weeks ago. I think it will be a big hit for a lot of people. They have no official release date yet though, it been in the works for a while I was told. It was at the show last year, and still hasn't been released.
How has your Cape Cod been working out, burn times , etc? Also I was wondering where you would put a stove top temperature gauge! Boy my wife really likes the stove big time after seeing it in person..

The thermometer goes right in front of the flue collar, thats the hot spot on the cod.
It has done really well for us, it heating our whole house. I am getting the published 12 hour burn time easily with good hard wood, i have gotten 16 hours with a full load of oak. It has an impressive fire view!

Attachments

• cod pic.jpg
    cod pic.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 1,338
  • cat pic.jpg
    cat pic.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 766
The only issue we have had is the baffle. It warped in the front right hand corner, it doesn't seem to hurt the performance. Lopi is aware of the issue and said they were working on a fix. The baffle is thin SS with a layer ceramic wool on top.

The only issue we have had is the baffle. It warped in the front right hand corner, it doesn't seem to hurt the performance. Lopi is aware of the issue and said they were working on a fix. The baffle is thin SS with a layer ceramic wool on top.
Pictures of the burn look impressive... Do you have the fan on your stove? How do you remove the baffle that's warped? Big job to get it out? How about cleaning or getting the cat out to clean?

It's very easy to remove the entire baffle, tubes and the cat. Travis really made this part simple. Each tube has a little clip that bolts to the side of the secondary air manifold. Remove the clip and the tube just slides out, the baffle sits on top of the tubes and is captured between the cat surround and the tubes. The cat just slides into a steel surround, it has a gasket around it that makes a snug fit.

I saw the smaller version of the Cape Cod at the HPBA show in Orlando a few weeks ago. I think it will be a big hit for a lot of people.
Oh, no! :oops: I can't afford another stove unless...did they mention a price? ==c
Nice that the top end is easy to pull...
Sweet secondaries pic, webby.

Oh, no! :oops: I can't afford another stove unless...did they mention a price? ==c
Nice that the top end is easy to pull...
Sweet secondaries pic, webby.
No, they didn't have a price on it. I'm not sure why it has taken so long to get it to production.

The only issue we have had is the baffle. It warped in the front right hand corner, it doesn't seem to hurt the performance​
Already! You haven't had that stove that long

Already! You haven't had that stove that long
Well it is a brand new design, they are working on it.
I talked to a tech from Travis at the HPBA show, he made a call to the tech that has been burning one hard. He said that his also warped and they are making a fix for it. Travis is really good about making corrections, they'll get it. They also change the little lip that holds ash back when the door is opened, they made it taller.

Yeah I guess every new stove has it flaws but its still a nice looking stove. I have yet to see one in person. Does this mean after they redesign it they are going to send you a new stove;) Travis makes indestructible stoves and I'm sure they are doing everything they can to make it right

Yeah I guess every new stove has it flaws but its still a nice looking stove. I have yet to see one in person. Does this mean after they redesign it they are going to send you a new stove;) Travis makes indestructible stoves and I'm sure they are doing everything they can to make it right
All the parts are bolt on. I don't worry too much about their durability, I don't keep 'em long enough to worry with that! ;) But they do make a tough stove.

No, they didn't have a price on it. I'm not sure why it has taken so long to get it to production.

There are many steps involved here: prototype, testing, refine, testing, refine further, tweaking, testing, final design, testing, lining up partners for parts, casting and catalyst, castings mfg., assembly, pre-test, epa testing, ul certification, marketing development, and finally distribution.

Could be they are waiting to get the kinks worked out of the larger cape cod and use the new design for the smaller one

There are many steps involved here: prototype, testing, refine, testing, refine further, tweaking, testing, final design, testing, lining up partners for parts, casting and catalyst, castings mfg., assembly, pre-test, epa testing, ul certification, marketing development, and finally distribution.
Ya, there's a lot involved. It's just odd that they introduced it a few years ago and it's still not released. From what I hear, they are using the Answer platform for it, I don't know if it's a cast jacketed steel firebox, or all cast. The Rep at the show really didn't focus on this stove at all.

He was more excited about the new small ZC approved insert with the hybrid technology and the new Fireplace X that no longer requires the remote blower and the cooling ducts. Allowing you to put it anywhere within the envelope of the house. It also has the Hybrid Technology.

Here is a picture of the Cape Cod on low burn, it burns nice and slow. Another pic of the occasional flare up.
Sorry for the dirty glass. ;)

Attachments

• low burn.jpg
    low burn.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 586
  • flare up.jpg
    flare up.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 606
Man that glass is filthy you must be burning some not so seasoned wood ;) I see you sold your Dutchwest. What stove are you going to try out next==c

I am gonna try out the Hearthstone Castleton. We saw it at the show, I think it will be a nice stove!

Well I'm 11.5 hours into a burn right now. I started the stove this morning since it was cold inside, unfortunately, it warmed up real fast outside today.
I started from a cold start, loaded with small splits of ash and oak, only about 2/3 full. It's still putting out a respectable amount of heat, too bad I don't need any of it! Oh, and the glass is still clean, even though the stove has been on it's lowest setting for 9 hours+. I'm loving it!

webby3650 Minister of Fire Joined: Sep 2, 2008 Messages: 2,932 Loc: southern Indiana The only issue we have had is the baffle. It warped in the front right hand corner, it doesn't seem to hurt the performance. Lopi is aware of the issue and said they were working on a fix. The baffle is thin SS with a layer ceramic wool on top

Did you get a new baffle from Travis? Just wondering, because the demo Cape cod I got has the warp on the left side. Also the front cast iron lip is cracked on both corners.

Did you get a new baffle from Travis? Just wondering, because the demo Cape cod I got has the warp on the left side. Also the front cast iron lip is cracked on both corners.
Yes, the store filled a warranty claim and I got a new baffle and andiron bracket. It took about 2 weeks to get it.

I planned on selling My Cape Cod because I don't need it since I got the Ashford. I was cleaning it up to make it look new, inside and out. I removed the brick to vacuum everything out real good and I found a crack! It's got a nice big crack going all the way through right where the back bolts to the bottom of the stove. You might want to remove your firebrick and take a look! :( Bummer!

Status
Not open for further replies.