Lopi Cape Cod

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

madrone

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2008
Just South of Portland, OR
What's the dealio? Looks like it won a VESTA award? Not much info on it it seems, as it's coming out later this year. It's a large cat/non-cat combo, either cast iron or a cast iron shell. Anyone know anything?

This is starting to sound like a trend.

"A Travis wood stove, the Lopi Cape Cod, swept three awards at the 2011 Vesta Award Ceremony - for Best-in-Show, Wood Products and The Green Award. Vesta provides few details on the innovations of the products that win, but it appears that the Cape Cod was tested at .47 grams an hour, has a large firebox, uses a combination of cat and no-cat technologies and has a electronic ignition (that can be controlled from a cell phone) that may significantly reduce particulates in the initial start-up. It will be on the market later this year."

Like to see exactly how big, but so far, I'm sold.

Attachments

• 86.jpg
    86.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 749
electronic ignition controlled from a cell phone? high tech... especially for a wood stove! What's next, a robotic arm that self-feeds the stove? ;-P

Interesting, sounds like a great stove. Looks like it needs some andirons to keep the wood off the glass?

Nobody hold their breath waiting for the day I will call a loaded wood stove and fire it off without me being right there by it. :wow:

BrotherBart said:
Nobody hold their breath waiting for the day I will call a loaded wood stove and fire it off without me being right there by it. :wow:

+1 on that BrotherBart, it sure seems like a catastrophe waiting to happen!

BrotherBart said:

I was thinking the same thing..... I guess you can call it again and close the air intake ??? I think I will pass..

The ignition advancement on the stove is a manual BBQ lighter with red button, attached to a manequin finger that is holding your significants other cell phone while on vibrate, when you call the number, it activates the phone and depresses the red button. Similar to a gas grill, the ignition only lasts for one month, and then you must replace the ingnition found at your local hardware store...I mean Travis dealer.

"Thank you for calling your stove. Your call is important to me."

"Press one for English. Press two for Spanish. Press three for Salvadoran. Press four for French. Press..."

"Press one for low burn. Press two for medium burn. Press three for high burn. Press 911 if you are not home in thirty minutes."

Reactions: raybonz
Hope it doesn't ignite when a plane flies over, like some automatic garage doors.

I wasn't texting while I was driving, officer, I was lighting my woodstove.

Butt-dialing?

Sorry, wrong stove.

BrotherBart said:

+100 - I can't see how lighting a stove remotely can be safe - automatic damper on this thing? Doubt it - I'd like to see how this system works. Cheers!

snowleopard said:
I wasn't texting while I was driving, officer, I was lighting my woodstove.

Butt-dialing?

Sorry, wrong stove.

But darling, I did tell the stove to light. You mean it wasn't our stove?

Ringtone for stove:
C'mon baby, light my fire

"We're sorry. The stove you have reached is not in service. If you need assistance please call your local Lopi dealer. Message number UR-SOL."

The more times I read the description, the more I suspect there's missing/confused info here. I can see remote ignition making sense on a gas stove, or even a pellet stove. No sense at all on a cord wood stove. I can't even imagine how that would work.

I don't get the concern. You load up the stove with kindling/splits/whatever. You are on your way home from work, 30 minutes away, and you call and it ignites (door is shut).

You get home and it's fully warm and ready for you to load up some splits and dial down the air.

Makes sense to me - of course, it requires me to set it up in the morning and not have any coals from the night before....

I could also see people with a weekend cabin liking it as a way to get the fire started before they get there, as long as they set it up the last time they left.

As for safety: I don't get it there either. It's a closed off stove, you are lighting it for the first time. Over-firing? Yeah, ok, that's fair. But on the overfiring front and other areas of concern.....right now I'll shove my stove full of wood, close the door, and head up to bed for the night....

If it loaded itself I wouldn't even have to get up off the couch.

Have they outlawed matches ?

Status
Not open for further replies.