Lopi Declaration and soot eater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kattpound

May 17, 2011
N.W. OHIO
I have been thinking about getting the soot eater but was wondering if I could just open the bypass damper and go straight up the flue. Maybe I am under thinking this, is there more i need to do? I checked the chimney yesterday and there is just a thin coat of brownish ash, no major creosote. this is my first full year burning and just want to make sure I am doing it as safe as i can with 2 kids in the house. Thanks in advance.

Katt...thanks for asking. Was gonna do the same thing. Let's see what others have to say.

I have that fireplace. Although i dont own a sooteater I sweep from top down and just open the bypass. When its all done there is a mound of creosote in the box. Then I just use a air compressor to blow into the front of the baffle and a shopvac to suck from the other side. Not much is sitting up top. After 2 or 3 years burning I took the whole baffle out to clean up there. For me, there was practically nothing up there and it was a huge pain to get the baffle in and out... horrible pain in the butt! You can get long thin brushed designed for cleaning that sort of area, thats all i would suggest. I dont have one, but think its a good idea.

Also, for me, with my conditions/wood, I will burn about 2.5 cords per winter (not so much this winter) and sweep in the spring. The liner is still quite clean then, probably could go a few years without a problem, but that would be foolishly risky.

I think the suggestion would work fine, just try to get the little bit left around the top of the damper out, no big deal though.

I have the same fireplace, and also the soot eater. I have no problem cleaning it from bottom-up through the bypass.

Cheers.....Som

Thanks for the help, now just need to get the soot eater.

Status
Not open for further replies.