Lopi Declaration - Purchase and Install cost

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

havermeyer

Sep 17, 2010
Central MA
Hi Folks,

First off, great forum with lots of good information on the site. I've been reading a bunch off the site for the past couple months and my wife and I decided we would go with I the Lopi Declaration (Wilmington face). Being a flush mounted insert is a huge plus for my wife and it met all my specs. Anyways, we've been going back and forth with the retailer and our final price is shaking out to about $3000 for the stove and $2000 for installation. Initially we were quoted closer to $1500 for install but because they need a longer liner (30ft vs 25ft) and they need to rent a lift (can't access the chimney from the roof), the price jumped up about 500 bucks.

What do you guys think about the price? I think the price of the stove is ok but I was a bit surprised how much the install is going to be. It's a SS flex liner (6") and will not be insulated. On the quote, the delivery and install is listed for $725, renting the lift $300, and liner and misc. parts ~$1000.

I know the Declaration is one of the more pricier models out there but we didn't think the install was going to be sooo much... and we are getting a little sticker shock. If not for the tax rebate, I'd probably look for a cheaper stove.... though we reaaaaally like the Declaration :)

Any comments much appreciated!

-Andre

That price is about identical to what I was quoted for that same stove, it is a pricey stove which is why I started looking at other units. These prices are negotiable to some extent though, and you may be able to get a lower price by paying in cash, I did.
Why aren't you insulating the liner? I know most shops say you don't have to and there is alot of debate on the subject, but I have a friend who is a chimney guy an he insists that it is a safety issue and he always recommends insulating liners

The $3000 price tag on the stove was after some haggling and me offering to write a check rather than charge it on the card. Unfortunately, I don't have much leverage as there are not many Lopi dealers in my area.

As far as the insulated liner goes... I asked the tech after he first came to my house to do initial measurements and he thought I didn't need one since my chimney is brand new (house is new and fireplace has yet to be used). He said he only recommends it if the flue is cracked or looks like it's in rough shape.

-Andre

My install was $1,500--$750 for the liner (2-story uninsulated) and $750 for the install. Your quote sounds about right with the extra liner and the lift.

We have ours installed in Feb this year (FX-33)

Stove + Classic Arch Faceplate + 8x8 Surrounding --> 3400
25 ft. Magnaflex 316 Titaniam Alloy + 6" coupling --> 615 (no charge for extra 3 ft. Our chimney is 28ft.)
Installation --> 375

Our first year burning so I can't tell you much. But from what I've used so far I'm quite happy with it especially this year that we finally have dry wood. Lite up easily once you warm the flu. Heat our 2000 ft. colonial quite well. Secondary burn is beautiful, even with Pine. Only one suggestion that try not to install it low on the ground. It'll be a bit easier to fill in the wood if you can lift it 6~8 inch. higher.

Also I had a chance to use both Wilmington & Classic Arch faceplate. I think that the larger holes in Classic Arch helps lower fan noise a bit.

Cheers......Som

Thanks guys for the input. I feel a little better about the install cost considering I need a longer liner and the lift. I also called some local chimney places for having a liner installed and the labor costs was inline with what the stove place charges. Upfront costs are high but looking forward to the lower oil bills in the winter!

Install date is schedule for Nov. 1st! I'll post pics after it's installed.

Som - One of the few negatives I've read about this stove is how low it's to the ground. How would you raise the stove? It seems like you would need to build up the base in the fireplace for the stove to sit on but then you would need to hide the bottom of the stove with some sort of metal trim piece or maybe even brick to match the hearth? Also, how bad is the fan noise with the Wilmington face? Maybe we would switchover to the Classic Arch even though we prefer the Wilmington look....

-Andre

I also noticed that building a fire and feeding this stove could be a bit cumbersome if it is not on a raised hearth. It just seems like a very low firebox and I believe the baffle kinda sits down low too. It's a deep and wide firebox but it doesn't have much height .

Hi Andre,

I didn't raise mine. So it sits low on the hearth. Search Declaration in the title and you should find couple of pictures here for a raised one. I believe they lay one or two layer of bricks on the hearth to raise it up, giving that you need to have enough height to do so.

About the faceplate, I remembered I used to think that it's noisy when we use the Wilmington and need to raise TV volume a bit on the first month of usage. Then our fireplace store brought the Classic Arch that we ordered, but came in late to replace it after a month. That's toward the end of last season so I couldn't compare much. Starting this year, I didn't feel that it's noisy at all. I think it's a combination of getting use to it, and the actual lower noise of the Classic Arch also.

Krex1010 is right about the fact that the firebox ceiling is kind of low. I can't stack two layers if I use a big split. Also it's not that deep...probably about 15 inch. so mostly you'll need to rely on E/W fire, which doesn't do well unless you raise those big split up with two small sticks lying N/S on the floor.

But non the less, I love the stove. It heats our place well, and spread heat well too. You won't be upset with it. Here are couple of clips of ours.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HOvBYuiBVI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf1pBJxh7GQ

Status
Not open for further replies.