Lopi Declaration vs. Freedom

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CT-Mike

Minister of Fire
Mar 22, 2008
New England
I found a dealer in CT that has both the Declaration and the Freedom (non-bay) in-stock at excellent prices. Looking through the specs, they seem very similar in firebox soze, BTU's, burn time, etc.

The wife likes that the Freedom sticks out into the room a bit. Seems to me that the Freedom would heat a little better based on that as well.

The Freedom is about $400 less than the Declaration.

So, any reason not to go with the Freedom?

Also, I have a masonry fireplace that is only 8 years old, and has had very few fires in it. I looked up it this morning and can see no buildup in the flue. Is there any reason to have it cleaned prior to install? I have not had it cleaned since we built the house.

Thanks,

Mike

I wouldn't be concerned with cleaning. I swept prior to install, but there is gonna be some residual creosote somewhere. I'm very happy with the freedom. I have it in the basement and it heats almost entire house from there. Back beds are hard. But the blower was a must.

What do I know, but it seems like the only reason to pick the Declaration over Freedom, then, would be if your prefer the flush appearance?

Thanks for the replies. We have decided on the Freedom, going to pick it up in the morning, along with an 18 ga. SS flue liner. Stopping at the town hall on the way home to pick up the permit. Hope to have it installed by this weekend.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.