Lopi Endeavor: added a blower, thoughts and mini-review

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pagey

Minister of Fire
Nov 2, 2008
Middle TN
My dad e-mailed me yesterday and told me he had purchased a blower for our Endeavor. He said if it performed well, he would probably add one to his mother's Liberty for the next heating season (if not this one). I keep telling him he'd be closer to retirement if he'd just get his two kids off his payroll, but he always does stuff like this for his family. :lol: I installed it yesterday afternoon, as the stove had cooled during the day due to our January warm up!

In any event, I have to say I'm surprised at how much the blower improves the movement of the convection air, even on the low setting. I know that these "jacketed" stoves of today are primarily convection heaters, so it's nice to be able to move that heat a little more effectively. I will say that I find it a bit frustrating that you "need" a rather expensive and glorified fan added to the stove to get the most out of its natural convection design, but that's life. If you want more radiant heat, you have to give up those close CTCs that are often a big selling point today. 4.25" rear CTC on the Endeavor with double wall is a far cry from, for example, 36" on an older, non-UL listed beast.

With that said, I loaded her up last night around 9PM with my usual overnight load: about 9-10 small to medium sized red oak and white oak splits loaded N/S. The blower did keep the cruising range around 600F rather than the initial 650-675F I would normally get with a full, fresh load. I woke up at 5am as usual, and when I raked the coals forward I had my typical 2"-3" bed. I was concerned that the lower surface temp and the additional air movement would combine to reduce the burn time and my coal bed. Last night was in the lower 20s, so it was definitely milder than we've been having (lower to mid teens). So I can't say for sure if the blower would have made any difference in the coal bed/burn time at, say, 14F overnight.

Noise: you know it is running. If you have nothing else on in the room, you definitely know it's there. It is louder than I expected on the low setting, but I don't mind a little "white noise" in a room. In fact, I have to sleep with a small fan on or I wake up for every little pop and creak. The kids had the TV on most of the night, and the TV easily drowned out the blower, but the TV didn't have to be ramped up to be heard so that was a plus.

I will have to wait for another cold snap to make a better "apples to apples" comparison to how effectively it works during a real cold snap, but I'm in no hurry to have another one. When we do, however, I will report back.

One final thought for those with a Lopi blower: in the pics on Lopi's site and in the pics on the diagram, the 3 blower fans are clearly on the front of the unit. Mine are on the bottom. Have they changed the design? Are the pics wrong? Or is mine just some freak that was assembled bassackwards somehow?

Pagey, thanks for another informative post. I for one am very happy to read this, especially because now your stove is even MORE like mine so I can keep relying on you for information! muhahahaha!

I've no idea what you are talking about regarding the blower fans. I have to assume mine are on the front simply because the bottom of the blower sits on the floor... and that would not be doing much for us, would it!

Nice! Thanks, Dad! You're set now. I look forward to your long-term test results.
I've got a homemade fan on mine. I run it when warming up a cold house on a really cold morning, or to squeeze the last heat out of the end of the coals. I don't usually burn overnight, so if the fire's on it's way out before I'm ready for bed, I pull the coals up front, open the air, and turn on the fan. This fan is small, and not very noisy at all, but definitely makes a difference when needed.
I put my fan at the back because there are ports there into the jacket. It makes sense to pull air from the lowest/coldest point. I imagine if you ran the fan on high for very long you'd have to keep the air open a little more.

Correction, I just looked at mine, and the fans indeed do NOT point out, It appears they point down, but I think it's really backwards into the stove, which somehow makes the hot air come up and out. I don't know how it works, I just know it works!

I must be lucky. I have an endeavor without a blower and it heats my house just fine. I have a 1600sq/ft raised ranch with the stove in an alcove in the basement. It moves the heat through my house very well. I don't even have heat registers, the heat just raises up the open stairs. I thought for sure I would need a blower and/or registers. When it gets below zero at night the boiler comes on a couple of times, but that keeps the pipes from freezing.

I think it'll help you out on the colder days, I can't wait to see you report back once it cools off again. I never spent much time comparing with or without on mine, you've run yours for a season + without it so you'll have good feedback on it.

I'm running mine on low right now since it's warmer and had it off last night. It was pretty funny, the fire was in the coaling stages and the temp was around 300, I shut the blower off and the temp. jumped to 450!

We're really enjoying it thus far. But, again, I must stress that it is significantly warmer outside right now. I know we'll get another chance to test it before the season is over, but after this last cold snap I'm looking forward to this thaw. :lol:

We routinely run the blower on our Liberty...at about half speed. Sure you can hear it, but we don't spend the day in the great room where the stove is. I'm either in my office down the hall or out in my workshop across the driveway. Wife's either upstairs in the lofted second floor or out & about somewhere. Most often, we eat supper in front of the TV, just a few feet from the stove, and we don't even notice the blower noise. On the rare occasions (dinner guests, or whatever) that the blower noise is unwanted, we just shut it off. The forced convection provided by the blower goes a long way toward getting the stove's heat out into the room and mixing. Combined with some ceiling fans, it gets the job done. We're very pleased with it, and glad we opted for it when we ordered our Liberty back in '07. Rick

Pagey said:
One final thought for those with a Lopi blower: in the pics on Lopi's site and in the pics on the diagram, the 3 blower fans are clearly on the front of the unit. Mine are on the bottom. Have they changed the design? Are the pics wrong? Or is mine just some freak that was assembled bassackwards somehow?

the fans on the endeavor and liberty mount on the rear, the fans on all the inserts and the answer freestanding mount on the front under the ashlip... travis industries used to make a couple outta the box units that could be inserts or freestanders (like the answer) and I think they had a front mount blower... but I am also reasonably sure that those units were avalons, not the Lopi line... I'll have to check the cabinet to see if the pics of the endeavor in the owner's manual show it w/ a front mount blower... also: 3 fans? the endeavor has a boxed in squirrel cage fan w/ 2 cages and one drive motor.. what'd the dealer give you?

In the rear bottom-mounted blower kits for the freestanding stoves, there's one squirrel cage fan & its drive motor in the blower enclosure. The motor's variable speed controller is integral with the power cord, and sits on the hearth. I think what Pagey's referring to are the holes punched in the box & covered by internal screening where the blower takes its suction. There are three such holes on the bottom of the enclosure, and one on each end. In this diagram from Lopi, you can just see one of the end intake holes on the blower enclosure. Rick

Attachments

• lopi.jpg
    lopi.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 3,748
Yes, I was initially confused by the pics on the Lopi site and the Lopi install docs, which all show the 3 fan holes on the front of the blower. Mine are on the bottom, and I've since confirmed this is correct. Sorry for any confusion. :coolgrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.