Lopi Endeavor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Treacherous

Minister of Fire
May 13, 2010
US
Well here goes my first post.....

I am in the process of installing a new Lopi Endeavor with Excel double wall pipe. I am at the limits of clearance. In this case 6". I am concerned though I may still get some heat related discoloration of the nearby paneled wall over the years. Do you think by adding in a heat shield I will avoid this issue? It seems like a heat shield would eliminate heat concerns aside from some kind of catastrophic event such as a chimney fire which shouldn't occur with proper maintenance and operation of the stove & chimney.

http://woodheatstoves.com/stove-pipe-shield-35-p-9387.html

Looking around it seems like no one has ever installed a heat shield with double walled pipe and there is no known clearance reductions with this setup.

Thanks!
Treacherous

Welcome to the forum Threacherous.

As long as you are within code I doubt the heat shield will do much to help. I think a lot of the discoloration is also caused by dry along with the heat. I know we are looking at the paneling in our living room and it has faded enough that we need to replace it so now we have to look at what we want to put in its place.

My Endeavor is installed at that clearance with double-wall pipe. Installed in "99, I think. No paneling, but I can tell you that the wall doesn't get that hot. I wouldn't expect any discoloration any time soon. My guess is that you'll be sick of the paneling before it gets too discolored.

Thanks!

Good to see your Lopi has been in operation for 10+ years. I am hoping this is effectively the last stove I have to buy. It is a primary source of heat for the cabin but I am only here about 1/4 of the year so overall use will likely be significantly less than what most of utilize your stove for.

Treacherous said:
I am hoping this is effectively the last stove I have to buy.

No doubt. I don't run 24/7, but this stove has never had a thing replaced, other than the pins that hold in the burn tubes. It will outlast you. I'm sure you'll love it. Sounds like a nice trim and window set up. You'll have to post some pictures when it's in.

madrone said:
Treacherous said:
Sounds like a nice trim and window set up. You'll have to post some pictures when it's in.

Will do. Install takes place next Friday. I am having all pipe replaced from top to bottom as well. While I am a major do-it-yourselfer I try to avoid the steep roof when possible so I am letting the fireplace shop handle this.

I had my stove installed today. This is going to be nice. It is replacing some old Centennial smoke dragon that I think is from the 70's. Not sure why I even thought about heat shield since the double wall works nicely to keep the temps down. I'll take some pics later. It is likely overkill for my 800 square foot cabin but it gets pretty cold up here in the mountains during the winter so not worried. I'm glad I got the fan as well.. it really kicks the heated air out. I am totally stoked.

I now need to stop by Super Cedars this week and pick up a 100 count box from the factory in Mukilteo.

One very happy Lopi customer. The installers from Armstrong's Stove & Spa from Ellensburg were great!!! They did a great job.

EDIT: Pic of old Centennial smoke dragon that was replaced.

IMG_0643.jpg

EDIT: I found an old ad for this '70's smoke dragon.

Screen%20Shot%202011-12-11%20at%207.27.35%20AM.jpg

Nah, it's not overkill. You may not need to load it full all the time, but when you want a load to last overnight, you'll be glad you have that extra capacity. I've relied on my stove to heat my house at 1300 sq ft, and I wouldn't want anything smaller.

Was this old cardboard looking insulation commonly used 30+ years ago where the class A goes? Here is my ancient pipe tossed to the ground. I'll get some pictures of new install next weekend. I have a snow wedge with new install. The old one just used braces.

IMG_10071.jpg

Installers claimed it was common on old installs they have done. I haven't seen anyone reference it here. They just mentioned it being some kind of fire retardant cardboard material. Fortunately this was all on outside even if it was asbestos.

A few more pics to add:

IMG_1012.jpg

IMG_1011.jpg

IMG_1005.jpg

IMG_1003.jpg

photo.jpg

IMG_1005.jpg

SteveKG said:
Hope that isn't asbestos....
Pretty sure it is, just hope you wore masks while bashing it out of there! When it's intact it's OK you just don't want to be drilling, cutting, sanding, bashing it and breathing what gets airborne.

The stove looks beautiful!

tickbitty said:
SteveKG said:
Hope that isn't asbestos....
Pretty sure it is, just hope you wore masks while bashing it out of there! When it's intact it's OK you just don't want to be drilling, cutting, sanding, bashing it and breathing what gets airborne.

The stove looks beautiful!

Thanks! :)

I kept my distance when they were pulling that out. There was a slight breeze toward the east as well that I didn't get downwind from. East is on left side of picture.

EDIT: Installer that was doing exterior work didn't wear a mask so I can't speak for his exposure.

If the pipe is 5' or more after the roof penetration it still needs a brace. The cricket is for snow, but there is still wind load to consider and the leverage on a big stick.

BeGreen said:
If the pipe is 5' or more after the roof penetration it still needs a brace. The cricket is for snow, but there is still wind load to consider and the leverage on a big stick.

Pipe is actually attached to the snow wedge with what looks like a wire band. I can't remember what they call it. I'd take a picture but raining pretty hard out right now. Maybe it is just galvanized hanger tape. They use this setup everywhere over here. For better or worse I guess.

EDIT: Band attaches right below joint between 2" & 4" pieces. It is then held on the snow wedge with three screws on each side.

Every cabin I have seen in Kittitas County seems to be setup this way. I used to have braces on old pipe. Installers claimed it wasn't needed with the attachment to snow wedge. I haven't seen any cabins with both over here.

Zoomed in on existing picture:

IMG_1008.jpg

IMG_1003.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.