LOPI Fox Fire shuts down when time to trigger convection blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrp911

May 5, 2016
mammoth lakes
Almost every time my Lopi Fox Fire 400 Pellet Stove will shut off after doing the heat up cycle right at the time I believe it is triggering the Convection Blower. Everything shuts off when it does this, and all we do is push down the spring loaded start switch and the it runs like a champ including the convection blower right away. it will not do this again until the next cold start. Normal operating when after the restart.

Any ideas to solve?

Sounds like you pof switch. It's likely taking a bit to long do reach the temp required to start the convection fan so it goes into shut down mode. When you restart it it has already reached the required temp for the pof switch so it will run like normal until you go through shutdown at start up mode.

I agree with Papa Bear stove, Proof of Fire snapdisc part #90-0991 120degree FNO Snap Disc.page 42 of the manual
http://www.lopistoves.com/TravisDocs/93508046.pdf
Hi Lake Girl and Papa Bears,

0k sorry for the delay as I ordered the snap disk and came back up to the cabin to install it. I only tried one start up today, but it still has the problem as before. I will try again tomorrow to see if the longer than normal start time was an issue today. . Any other ideas as possible causes.

Well you got me ... sorry about that since you are likely in the middle of nowhere at the cabin. Like where I live, no quick run to the hardware store_g

Have you been pulling the convection blower to give it a clean and lubricating (2 drops of electric motor oil - 2-in-1 blue label)?

PS Should have a new gasket when you pull the blower just in case. As always, unplug when working in the cabinet so you don't make matters worse!

Did you buy this unit or did it come with the cabin?

When you start it up, do you just use fire starters or do you use pellets too? Not adding enough pellets to get it up to temp quickly? Closing air control on start-up?

When mine starts up (with the iginiter) it has a burn pot that is likely 3/4 full...

Keep us posted...

Last edited:
We are in Mammoth Lakes Ca. The unit came with the cabin. Other than this shutdown it has been a nice stove.

Ok you definitely primed some more thought. Get it hotter sooner within the timing phase.
We only start with pellets. Sometimes like today I will put a couple handfuls in the cup first but not always. Today it was full and smoking a lot before it ignited.

I never really asked about the startup as it always starts, might shutdown and we hit the button one more time.

Is there any pressure related switches on the blower side. I would say th gasket could be better so I wonder if it would sense any leakage?

Thanks again.

There should be a vacuum switch for the exhaust blower but that wouldn't relate to the convection blower turning on - that is a heat-related function. Good idea though to check the line on vacuum switch to ensure it is not cracked or split. While vacuum switches can fail, it is rare. How is the door gasket? Haven't looked at the manual again - is there one on the ash pan and/or hopper lid?

They will smoke a lot before ignition;) As long as you have no smoke leakage, your exhaust blower appears to be doing its job. The large initial amount of pellets will generate a fairly large flame initially but that settles down once started and is then under the control of the auger setting.

With more pellets, did the convection blower start as it should? Or did you have to do the restart? What exactly do you use for starting procedure? Pre-soak pellets with hand sanitizer/starter gel? It may be just a matter of hitting the sweet spot with amount of starter gel and amount of pellets...

There should be a vacuum switch for the exhaust blower but that wouldn't relate to the convection blower turning on - that is a heat-related function. Good idea though to check the line on vacuum switch to ensure it is not cracked or split. While vacuum switches can fail, it is rare. How is the door gasket? Haven't looked at the manual again - is there one on the ash pan and/or hopper lid?

They will smoke a lot before ignition;) As long as you have no smoke leakage, your exhaust blower appears to be doing its job. The large initial amount of pellets will generate a fairly large flame initially but that settles down once started and is then under the control of the auger setting.

With more pellets, did the convection blower start as it should? Or did you have to do the restart? What exactly do you use for starting procedure? Pre-soak pellets with hand sanitizer/starter gel? It may be just a matter of hitting the sweet spot with amount of starter gel and amount of pellets...
Ok if turn the switch off and on which I think resets the timer for warm up time the blower kicks on as expected. So it's time to focus on better startups.

Never tried start up gels. I did try some pieces of fire starter, but they kind of burned down before the pellets got going. It may be time to pop a new igniter in there. I will get some gel as well to try. Any recommendations? Thanks for the dialog. It is close.

What?? You have an igniter but it is burned out?

When replacing igniter, measure distance on installed igniter before removal. Definitely disconnect from power before you even start. Should have air gap all around cartridge of igniter and igniter housing. Proper positioning in relation to burn pot is important.

Keep us posted...

Status
Not open for further replies.