Lopi Fox Fire used stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

3fingersalute

Oct 28, 2006
Hello, nice looking forums you have here. I'll admit, I'm a total greenhorn when it comes to stoves. I do however know the value of bulletin boards, as I moderate and post on a few myself that are in my line of work; so I thought I would find a good forum to ask some experts my question.

I'm very low on money this year, and I'm looking for an alternative heat source (I used oil - forced air now). Anyhow, I've decided to go with a pellet stove, and have been looking at some used ones on ebay, craigslist, etc. and came across one for a decent price. Its a 1996 Lopi Fox Fire PS and is reportedly in excellent condition. I've tried googling it and visited Lopi's website, but can't really seem to find any information on them (other than a troubleshooting guide), so I have a few questions:

Does anybody know what size (sq. ft) this unit would be capable of heating? I know pellet stoves vary in BTU rating depending on how hard they're burning.

Is Lopi a decent brand, or are they an off brand?

Is there anything in particular I should look for/at when considering a used stove?

Any reccomendations/suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Like I said, I'm totally clueless here.

Lopi makes good stoves in general, but given the age of the stove I would answer the question - Is there anything in particular I should look for/at when considering a used stove? - Very cheap and in good operating condition.

What is your real budget? How much extra have you allowed for venting the stove? Where are you installing it, what region or city? What sq. ftg. are you trying to heat and how well insulated and tight is the house?

A ten year old pellet stove is not like a wood stove there are electronics and mechanical parts that have planned obsolessence and to
made that a realistic purchase you would have to have a repair record. you could be getting into a stove the could require too many repairs. (Can one say money pit)
Since technology play into this decision modern stoves are much better enhanced than this one. I would that considered real old technology.

Think about it. Respond to BEgreen's questions. This might not be a good idea

Thanks for the replies, that's basically what I was afraid of. I have the money needed for venting the stove and have looked into what is required where I live already (central PA). This stove is listed for $500, which I thought sounded decent given the price of new stoves, but it appears you're telling me a 10 year old stove is not a very wise investment, thanks for the input.

The other stove I've been considering is an Englander 25-PDV for $825, but I'm waiting for the seller to email me back what year it is. I know that newer stoves probably burn more efficiently, etc., but the local dealer sells Harman, and the cheapest unit is $1600, which is out of my budget at the moment.

Thanks for your replies, I really do appreciate them.

Reactions: pauhou2
Purchasing supplemental Heat sotove is only one part of providing heat. What about this approach, use that money for the stove and button up you existing home?
Save more of the heat you produce now when energy cost are lower and save up or next year for the stove.

I have inspectd quite a few Englanders For the most part I have not heard a lot of complaints but all were new. I would call Englander to feel out how they Deal with replacement parts and see If I feel confortable with them You may be on your own making repairs there is no dealer network that repairs them And Home Ccheapo will be little help

Weight everything out when money is tight sometimes it is better not to make bad purchase than to make none at all

The main problem is, I have a horribly old oil furnace, and with oil prices where they are, I'm spending $400 a month or better in oil during the hard winter months. I don't have the money to replace the furnace at the moment, so I was looking at pellet stoves to help get me through this winter.

Thanks for the input, I'm definitely weighing all my options.

The realistic side of life is that if you get a pellet stove you are still going to be buying fuel. And you need to check out pricing and availability of pellets in your area. They easily could cost you two-fifty to three hundred a month for the usual burn of a ton a month. Put that on top of your water heater usage and occasional furnace usage and your are back to or over $400 a month not counting the stove and venting costs. Then, if you toss in maintenance expenses of an unknown used stove you are over current costs. I know that last Spring Home Depot was clearing out Englander 25-PDV stoves for around six or seven hundred bucks. I started to buy a couple just to sell this winter.

Hi 3 finger,

Even if you do not have much money. There are other options. E.g. Central PA is prime coal area. That might be your cheapest option. Used wood stoves are even cheaper, as long as you get an EPA approved one. For you a Jotul 602 would be cheap and efficient. Getting wood at this time of the year might be difficult.

Or, if you are on craigslist, there are lots of people selling oil furnaces. They have not improved much in the last 20 years according to my srvice guy. Max efficiency is about 80%. So a 10 year old is not expensive and maintenance is OK. Just get a good brand.

Pellet stove are expensive and I hear a lot about electrnic and mechanical failures. Moreover, you pay for the fuel.

So in the end, I feel getting a more efficient (newer) oil furnace with plugging up all the holes in the house and insulating the attic will pay of the most. Plus you get a tax credit for that!!!

Carpniels

The only problem with coal or wood is that requires a full chimney, which I do not have. I'll check the furnace thing out though, thanks!

BrotherBart said:
3fingersalute said:
So I assume ones like this on ebay are not a decent deal either:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Englander-Pelle...ryZ41987QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

What you can't depend on is them having surplus stoves at Home Depot this spring. ACE Hardware sells Englander. Check with your local ACE and HD see what price they can get you on a new one.
Home Depot doesn't even list Englader as a brand they carry anymore, so I'm out of luck there.

some coal stoves can be direct vented

ever hear of an oil burning stove? very popular in Europe and from time to time I have seen some listed for sale

Status
Not open for further replies.