Lopi Foxfire soot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruben_21

Nov 5, 2016
CA
Stove was cleaned good, even blew exhaust with leaf blower. Its on for second time since cleaning. Getting a soot build up which I haven't before any input would be appreciated. 9fe7898fa48cdc1c5e377c40f557d53d.jpg

Low cold fires cause black soot
AKA cold smoke

What pellets are you using? What level are you burning at? Is the combustion blower working as it should?

Golen fire pellets. Feed rate at 1/4 and air flow set to pellets jumping in burn box but not out of it. Combustion fan was replaced last season. I didn't have this soot last season.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Did the air control knob on the left side of the stove get moved when you were cleaning?

Are you referring to the knob that controls the air flow through the burn box?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Are you referring to the knob that controls the air flow through the burn box?

Yes, if it was moved, it could create the soot. Many folks take nail polish, lacquer paint, etc to mark proper positioning for their normal burn settings. Sometimes even a minor adjustment can make a difference. A low burn in not your most efficient burn ... Air flow needs on the damper may change with different heat ranges or different pellets.

Any other changes to your system or to the house that would effect airflow. Some folks have found disruptions when a new air handler, radon system or other appliance that uses inside air has been changed or added.

Golden Pellets are doug fir?

I move it all the time, at start up, shutdown and adjust it to the most efficient burn with feed rate. In answer to the quality of pellet yes they are Doug Fir.

Is that your normal burn settings? Try changing your adjustments. Have you tried another brand of pellets to rule out changes in Golden Pellets formulation ie just a bad batch?

How old is the stove? When was the last time door/hopper/ashpan gaskets were replaced? Beyond that, are your control knobs for feed/combustion air still adjusting as they should? They can develop weak spots and need replacement. Local electronics store may be able to help if that is the case... If board is suspect, these folks may be able to help www.pelletstovepro.net

Status
Not open for further replies.