Lopi Freedom insert with air leak?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sep 9, 2008
Northern Ohio
Our Lopi insert was professionally installed by a dealer last March. We are happy with the insert itself and the way it burns, but I'm afraid there may be air infiltration from the outside. The insert is located in the center of the house. It was installed in an existing masonary fireplace and was given a full chimney liner with cap.
Since installation we have not used it a lot until this month. We intially thought that on windy days that the downdraft was blowing across the secondary burn tubes causing whistling like a flute. We've kind of ignored it until last night. We have our Christmas stockings hung with care on our mantle above the insert on either side of the panels. I heard the whistling wind blow and a split second later the stocking is waving at me.
My questions are first: Could there be a break in the connection of the liner to the stove? Clamp loose? Can i pop off the panels and fix myself?
Second: Could there be damage to the steel liner within the old clay liner? Hole, tear, etc.?
Third: Is it still safe to burn with these possible problems until I have a service person inspect it?
Fourth: Is there any whistling sounds that are normal? With regards to how the bypass or damper is set when in operation or not.
Thanks in advance. Whistling Dixie Lopi.

I have a similar set up as you. Lopi Freedom Bay installed in an interior chimney with a full SS insulated liner. On windy days I can sometimes hear wind whistling upon stove start up (usually the blower is running after start-up so I don't hear anything). How high are the stocking hung? I would think that a break in the connection would offer other symptoms such as possible poor drafting (especially upon start-up), smoke back in the room upon start-up, and possibly even CO - hopefully you have a detector in the room. The panels do come off, though I've never taken mine off. If it is a loose connection between the stove and the liner you should be able to fix it if you can see it. I assume you have a top plate installed where the liner exits the chimney and a cap as well?

What part of NE ohio are you from. I'm close to Cleveland.

Do you have an insulated block off plate installed?

Shari

Surely you aren't just getting the stove blower blowing the stockings, right? Turn off the stove's blower and if the stockings still swing then start hunting. Any smoke?

one other thing to check before you rip the insert out is go on top of your roof and inspect the plate they installed on top of your chimney to seal it from the weather. I looked at mine and notice that the silicone they used didn't ahear to the plate & mortar on top of my chimney. So I just re-sealed it.

I would think you would have smoke coming into your house if the liner had a hole in it, or came loose from the insert.

Status
Not open for further replies.