Lopi Freedom, installed!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After much waiting the insert finally arrived and is installed and heating nicely. The furnace hasn't turned on once since install day!

Here's some pics of the install.

About to begin:
8y4YaDp.jpg

Flex liner pulled through, this is hooked to rigid in the chimney to the top:
kp7U1u1.jpg

Lopi High Temp Inside wiring kit for fan
1vqiNcS.jpg

Block off plate fabrication (there are actually two panels stacked on top of each other here:
wGzngJ8.jpg

Hooked up
4YxzQCG.jpg

Block off plate installed
mdjvAnN.jpg

Final install with custom inside fit surround panels, first burn!
M3MfgsK.jpg

Reactions: jaychino415
What did you use to tie the flex to the elbow? Can't tell from the pictures.

Honestly, I have no idea. This was a professional install, I just took pictures as they went along. He did appear to know what he was doing though. I'll see if I have a better pic of that somewhere.

I did have to toss the guy some extra cash to fashion and install the block off plate as he didn't want to initially. Once it was done though he agreed that it looked great and would definitely provide maximum heat.

And heat it does! Totally in love with the new insert :)

That is a great insert and a good heater. It looks great in that setting. I like the stone mantel. The only thing I would have done differently is skip the metal tape on the flue pipe. It isn't rated for the high flue pipe temps.

That looks awesome! Love the stone surround. Like the install. Looks like the techs tried hard to seal off that blocking plate. If they aren't used to using these plates, they probably didn't think about the heat rating on that tape. I'm guessing it will dry up and fall off over time. If I was concerned, I'd peel the tape off and seal with rock wool

That looks awesome! Love the stone surround. Like the install. Looks like the techs tried hard to seal off that blocking plate. If they aren't used to using these plates, they probably didn't think about the heat rating on that tape. I'm guessing it will dry up and fall off over time. If I was concerned, I'd peel the tape off and seal with rock wool

Thanks guys. The Surround came with the house so I can't take credit for it but I agree, i think it makes the whole thing come together nicely.

Regarding the Heat Tape, I actually had the same concerns and asked him about the tape and he told me it is specifically high temp flu tape that he uses on alot of his jobs. I think this is the stuff here

Is that singlewall black pipe slid over the elbow? Doesn't look like a normal appliance adapter that is used to tie to flex liners, looks like a lot of screws holding it together.

I'm not sure... He mentioned something about using a storm cap flipped upside down to do the final seal to the block off plate, could that be what it is?

Thanks for the pics.

I joined the forum because I'm waiting for my Freedom insert to be installed (we just have to extend the non-combustible flooring first).

We're really looking forward to going from 7+ cords per winter (open hearth fireplace), plus oil furnace backup, to maybe 4 cords and almost no oil. I grew up with wood heat, but my wife and kids didn't. They know how to toss on more splits, but that's about it. Then again, I'm going to have to learn how to play with this EPA stove to make it run right, so it will be a learning opportunity for all of us.

Reactions: TekHearth
Welcome KB. The friendly and experienced members here will have you rocking that fine wood heater in no time flat.

Seeing that inside fit surround makes me think I've got a project this summer!
I hope it gets cold in Napa, because that insert leaves us in t-shirts when it's single digits outside.

TE

The truth is it's been a very mild winter and it's a fairly mild climate here therefore I haven't gotten to use it nearly as much as I'd like because when it's only dropping to the 30's outside it gets so hot inside we'll literally have to open a window to cool off the house!

Enjoy your new insert KB!

Status
Not open for further replies.