Lopi Freedom Operating Tempertures.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freakingstang

Feeling the Heat
Dec 30, 2012
Berlin Center, Ohio
being new to an insert that I am getting ready to install, i too am curious as to where to put a magnetic thermometer... there isn't access to the pipe as it is insulated and not out in the open like a stand alone stove....

being new to an insert that I am getting ready to install, i too am curious as to where to put a magnetic thermometer... there isn't access to the pipe as it is insulated and not out in the open like a stand alone stove....
Operating temps for inserts vary depending upon the model. There are other Lopi Freedom owners here, so someone will chime in.

Stove top as far back as it can go but not touching the mantle trim plate os where the thermo goes

Yup flat on the top as near to the flue as possible is how mine is. In my insert I need a flash light to read it but give the most accurate reading. Got a IR thermo too. The rule is thermo or not, no glowing.

Are you going with the flush mount install or letting is stick out a little? Put the thermometer as close to the bypass rod as possible so the air coming out of the two vents on each side will not affect the temperature reading as much. I would say operating temps for the freedom should be between 500 and 750 depending on fan speed and wood load. With a full load in my liberty and no fan running it will top out at 750 of just slightly above for an hour or so and slowly start coming down and settling between 600 and 700

mine will not sit flush, it will sit out some, and i might even have it sitting out 10-12" instead of the normal 7". My fireplace is very shallow. Im not new to stoves, but new to this whole insert idea, researched everything until i was blue in the face. this was the last question I really had about the whole deal. Thanks guys.

On my Freedom Bay I put the thermometer to the right of the bypass rod - flat on top.

Shawn

Got a IR thermo too
Yeah, I used that to find the hottest spot on the front face of the Buck 91, then stuck the magnetic thermo there.

On my Freedom Bay I put the thermometer to the right of the bypass rod - flat on top.

Shawn

what kind of normal operating temps do you see? in understand the bay is the same insert with a bigger box?

On my Freedom, i put the thermometer near the middle, but I can't get it very far back because of the flush kit. I normally see temps around 600, it spikes as much as 800. These temps won't hurt it, but you shouldn't let it stay that hot for too long. You will see the secondary air tubes glow once you back the primary air off, this is normal. You just don't want anything else to be glowing.

If you bring it out on the hearth more than normal, how will you put the panels on it? Will you have enough hearth?
Make sure that your flue outlet on the stove doesn't end up under the lintel if you pull it out. Thats one of the reasons for the flush kit, to move it away from the lintel, bringing it forward might not be possible.

Per the freedom manual, 800 degrees and above is considered to be an over fire, thus voiding the warranty.

Here is the excerpt from the manual, page 14:

Over-firing may lead to damage of plated surfaces. If you are uncertain of over-firing conditions, we suggest placing a stove thermometer (e.g. Rutland® Model 710) directly over the door on the stove top - temperatures exceeding 800° are generally considered over-firing and will void the warranty.

Here are some pictures of where I put the stovetop thermometer. I included an IR photo from over a year ago so it does not correlate with the temp reading pictures of today. The IR shot just lets you see the hottest spot. My thermometer is actually within 20 degrees of the IR.

DSC04535er.jpg DSC06750er.jpg DSC06752er.jpg Top gauge, indicating 610.jpg

Attachments

• DSC06751er.jpg
    DSC06751er.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 431
what kind of normal operating temps do you see? in understand the bay is the same insert with a bigger box?
My normal operating temperature is about 500-650. I've been as high as 700-750 but only temporarily and if I have lots of small splits or leave the air open too long. I'm not sure that the box is any bigger on the Bay model - just the design of the front of the insert.

Shawn

Here are some pictures of where I put the stovetop thermometer. I included an IR photo from over a year ago so it does not correlate with the temp reading pictures of today. The IR shot just lets you see the hottest spot. My thermometer is actually within 20 degrees of the IR.
View attachment 87348View attachment 87349View attachment 87350View attachment 87351View attachment 87352

That is awesome, I like that ALOT!
thanks for the pics, mine will hopefully get slid in tomorrow or sunday!

If you bring it out on the hearth more than normal, how will you put the panels on it? Will you have enough hearth?
Make sure that your flue outlet on the stove doesn't end up under the lintel if you pull it out. Thats one of the reasons for the flush kit, to move it away from the lintel, bringing it forward might not be possible.

Two screws hold the surrounds on.. just a matter of moving them. Or if I like the look without the surrounds i won't even install them. I have a 3' hearth so that isn't an issue. what is the lintel? i have the offset adapter to either move the stove out 3" or back 3" like with a flush kit. Where my fireplace is located in the corner of the room at the east end of the house, I would prefer to have it out as much as possible for better and have taken measurements 10 times now and have plenty of clearance.

i have the offset adapter to either move the stove out 3" or back 3" like with a flush kit
A flush kit is a set of extension pieces that attach to the outer shell of the unit, it moves the unit back into the fireplace. That adapter usually isn't needed, but instead an elbow is needed to get the right angle.
The panels mount to the outer shell of the unit, using 4 pre punched holes and It rests on the top of the convection deck. I guess it could be monkied on there some how, but it won't look right. If you have plenty of clearance and don't care about the panels, why not go with a free-standing stove? It would deliver the most heat to the room.

Because I don't have the money being a new homeowner to do what i want to do, so I'm doing what I can so I don't have to spend so much on $3.88 a gallon heating oil. I bought my insert based on my dimensions, the size firebox and a few other factors. i've done my homework. i'm not going to just nixxed the idea because someone thinks I'm monkeying it. drilling four holes for the surround moving it back isn't monkeying it.

We have the thermostat on top, center of our insert. Our insert stickes out about 4" from the fireplace. We run it in a range of 400-600f, we have ran it as hot at 750f but aim to not be higher than 650.

Status
Not open for further replies.