Lopi Freedom or Pacific D1?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bash

Jan 30, 2008
Southeastern MA
I'm hoping I can get some feedback from some folks about experiences (good or bad) that they have had with these 2 stoves. They both seem like great stoves, but I'm a bit concerned about how few local stove houses sell or even know of the Pacific Energy stoves. Lopi seems to be quite a bit more popular so I am assuming this is for a reason and I'm leaning in this direction.

I hope some of you could take a minute and give me your opinions.

Thanks in advance.

I have the Pacific Energy "Pacific" D1 insert and I love it, but then I have zero experience with anything else.
Anything specific you are curious about?

Same here. I love our Lopi but have no experience with PE, and have heard nothing but good things about PE here on hearth.com

this is my first year with the lopi freedom. Has been a good insert so far. Have nothing bad to report. Having it installed extends allows for my copper pots to be used for water. The blower ended up being added on in November to really boost air movement as we do not have a furnace blower for circulation.

We have a Lopi Freedom insert with blower, 2400sq ft house that is similar to a bi-level house. Our stove, without effort will heat out whole house to 78F. Last night we didn't realize it until we were both sweating that it was 80F in the house so we turned off the fan and opened up the windows for an hour or so. The stove is easy to maintain, fireup and heats very well. In times of power outtages I have heated up pizza & soup on top of the stove. The instruction manual I have even tells how to make pancakes and eggs on top of it. I love our stove.

Thanks for all the replies.

I know this is kind of silly, but could you guys tell me what the viewing length and width is for both these stoves? My wife wants the biggest viewing area and I suspect the Lopi might be a bit wider.

Thank you for all of your input. We were sold on the Pacific but the local dealer that carries the stove we have heard bad things about. So we began searching again and came up with the Lopi at a different dealer. The Lopi is going to run us about $1,000 more than the Pacific and we are having a hard time deciding. The Lopi I think has a longer burn time and bigger glass viewing window and the dealer we like. I don't mind paying more for a better stove but I am not sure it is $ 1,000 better :)

I don't know about the Pacific but the fact that the Lopi Freedom heats our bi level 2400sq ft house as effecient as it does would make me buy our stove again if we ever have to replace it - and it sticks out just enough for a kettle of water on top or in a power outtage to heat up some soup :cheese:

The firebox on the lopi is quite a bit bigger, 1cuft I think. It's really more comparable to the summit not the D1.

Tell us about the house and your expectations from the insert.

It's going into a raised ranch upstairs living room/kitchen area. The room is about 500 sq feet with 13 foot cathedral ceilings with a single ceiling fan. The whole upstairs is about 1200 sq feet.

We were hoping to heat as much of the upstairs as possible to avoid using oil. If possible we will try and burn 24/7.

The lopi at 3cuft is a tad big IMO for 1200sqft in MA unless the house is very open(ranch usually are not) or poorly insulated. I am a fan of oversizing, but this may be too much.

I'm glad you bought up the sizing issue...oh by the way the basement is also about 1200 sq feet as well, but I didn't mention it because the stove will be up stairs and i didn't think it was a factor. I also need to emphasize the height of the ceilings in the room with the stove. There is a huge volume of air in this room (13' high ceilings).

So this is what I don't get. If I compare the PE D1 insert to the Lopi Freedom insert they are both about 72k BTU. Sq feet for the D1 is up tp 2000 sq feet and the Lopi is listed at 1200-2250 sq feet. To me the difference appears to be primarily the burn time. Is this not true? Again, I'm new to this.

Thanks in advance.

Bash said:
I'm glad you bought up the sizing issue...oh by the way the basement is also about 1200 sq feet as well, but I didn't mention it because the stove will be up stairs and i didn't think it was a factor. I also need to emphasize the height of the ceilings in the room with the stove. There is a huge volume of air in this room (13' high ceilings).

So this is what I don't get. If I compare the PE D1 insert to the Lopi Freedom insert they are both about 72k BTU. Sq feet for the D1 is up tp 2000 sq feet and the Lopi is listed at 1200-2250 sq feet. To me the difference appears to be primarily the burn time. Is this not true? Again, I'm new to this.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, your thinking about the basement is right...don't count anything below the stove. However the 13' ceilings does change things, that's why it's best to have all the details.

Forget about the max btu output(72 000) and the square feet rating. No sense going by a model of a moderately insulated house in a mild climate with 8' ceilings if you have poor insulation and 13' ceilings in a colder climate. Go by firebox size.

I like to oversize and would probably oversize even more with an insert compared to a freestander but now that we know about the 13" ceilings I think you could go either way, depending on your insulation and your goals. The D1 will be easier to run in the spring and fall the lopi will have room for more wood on the coldest of nights.

My house is 1800sqft in southern Ontario and I, like you could have gone either way (2cuft vs 3cuft). 2cuft would have got the job done but I decided on 3cuft because;
1. I didn't want my furnace to ever run
2. Wife and I are away 12hrs during the day
3. The ability to "gain ground" in the coldest temps we see
4. Space for bigger/oddly shaped wood
5. I have alot of glass
the sacrafice is building smaller fires from scratch in the shoulder seasons and letting them burn out.

Status
Not open for further replies.