Lopi Freedom or Regency I3100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deron

Nov 3, 2009
Northern Kentucky
Which would be the better insert?

I almost bought the Freedom, but got the Avalon Olympic instead...wife liked the glass door better. They're fraternal twins since they're both made by Travis Industries. I must say that I really enjoy it, but have no baseline with which to compare it. It's only gotten in the 30s here once, but it sure stays toasty. I've only used the blower on low, otherwise we might get run out of the house. My home is 3500 sq ft, and I'm hoping to realistically heat about 2000 sq ft.

Good luck.

I really like my Freedom Bay. It's a little bit larger them the freedom. Used it all last winter. Saved a bunch on the gas bill.

I just got a Freedom this year and I love it. My final decision came down to the Lopi having the the top damper as well as the bottom air control. I was really close to getting the Jotul 550, but just couldn't see how smoke was not going to pour into the house when I opened the door. I am really glad it has the top damper - just gives you more control and makes lighting the stove real easy. For my 1500sq ft ranch this stove is really too big - it just puts out a ton of heat (my house is very well insulated too). Granted it has still been in the 50's during the day and only in the low 30's at night - but we still have to leave a window or two cracked during the day and have to turn blowers off at night at this point - it just gets too hot.

I have the hampton hi300 which is the same as the 2400i insert. It is the model smaller then the 3100. It heats a 1400 square ft older home with no problem in WI. I get overnight burns and am happy with the product...the company sucks, but thats another story. Compare firebox size and go with what you like best...few will be able to compare the two since these stoves last years and years when operated properly...

RhalInCt said:
I just got a Freedom this year and I love it. My final decision came down to the Lopi having the the top damper as well as the bottom air control. I was really close to getting the Jotul 550, but just couldn't see how smoke was not going to pour into the house when I opened the door. I am really glad it has the top damper - just gives you more control and makes lighting the stove real easy. For my 1500sq ft ranch this stove is really too big - it just puts out a ton of heat (my house is very well insulated too). Granted it has still been in the 50's during the day and only in the low 30's at night - but we still have to leave a window or two cracked during the day and have to turn blowers off at night at this point - it just gets too hot.

Lopi Freedom doesn't have a true damper up top . . . it is a redirect that forces the air wash up front rather than a direct exhaust at the upper rear of the firebox.

I really like our Regency I3100 - makes huge heat and takes whole trees it's so big ;)

Hi Deron,
The Lopi inserts are definitely among the best ones of the market, I completely understand why you’re considering them. As I have mentioned before in this forum, for me, when talking about inserts, I have a huge favoritism for the Enerzone and Osburn products since they both have the blower included (no need to pay extra to add it) and it is located right in front of the unit! Their easy access mechanism allows you to do your regular cleaning of the blower without having to unscrew anything at all! They both have the high density brick, easy customizable door (overlay system), C-Cast baffles (ceramic cast with better heat reflection and durability than vermiculite), adjustable latch systems and some of the best warranties in the market (lifetime warranties in the glass and stainless secondary air tubes for example) plus all their products qualifies for the 30% federal tax credit. Let me know if you want to have more info on these brands. All the best!

I think we have heard this pitch several times by now. Is this copy/paste responding?

Status
Not open for further replies.