LOPI - GreenStartâ„¢ Electronic Wood Ignitor System

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Treacherous

Minister of Fire
May 13, 2010
US
GreenStartâ„¢ Electronic Wood Ignitor System

Available - February 2012
Starting your woodstove has never been easier as Travis industries has revolutionized the way consumers today start wood fires!

The GreenStart igniter has made getting your fire burning as convenient as pushing a button. Additionally all of the mess of starting a fire with matches and newspapers is no longer part of the process. The new GreenStart system instantly elevates combustion temperatures within your stove, immediately establishes a draft and eliminates the slow and smoky typical wood fireplace start up. Never before has getting your wood fire burning been so simple.

http://www.lopistoves.com/

Video of how it works here.

Installation video here.

Here is retrofit list for older stoves. It appears mine missed the cutoff by about 1500 stoves. They must have started putting the cutouts on the 2011 model.

Screen%20Shot%202012-03-04%20at%205.59.19%20PM.png

Pretty slick, really useful feature for part time/occasional burners.

I like how that split rolls into the glass at the end of the video. :)

1103-535** on my Endeavor so I guess I missed it as well. I would have strongly considered it as well because i believe my wife might have liked that. I recently discovered fire starters and they are super easy. No kindling just logs, light the fire starter and close the bypass damper in about 30 minutes.

Thanks for posting. While I may have retrofitted depending on price. I wonder if it changes the clearances?

That was kind of neat. I don't use nearly that much kindling, though. I wonder how flexible the device is in terms of igniting wood.

Also, it seems like another feature new burners will use improperly. They'll throw in a bunch of wet wood and call up the dealer complaining how it's a piece of crap.

The Super Cedars work well enough for me as well. I don't think my rear clearance would have accommodated the unit anyway seeing as how that big box mounts on the back of the stove in the Answer demo video.

That is going to sell a lot of stoves. BTW: Be sure and use red cedar for kindling like he did. With a pellet stove ignitor like that it will start up in a heartbeat.

Or just use red cedar in a little puck, like a Super Cedar.

Cute. I can see where it might appeal to some folks. My Liberty is too old for the retrofit. I wouldn't bother with it anyway...just another power wire to run, and Super Cedars make fire starting Super Easy. If I was buying a new stove and this was offered as an installed option (as my blower kit was) I might consider it, depending on how much $$$ they wanted to put it on before installing the stove (but I doubt it). Rick

Be a shame not to be able to start fire when the electricity is off...just sitting there in the cold and dark.

If he threw a few splits in there and got it rolling I'd be impressed. But as good a job as he did stacking that kindling, and given how much he used, he could have started that fire just by holding a match in the general vicinity of the stove... He used more kindling to start that fire than I have used this heating season. OK, that's because I don't use any kindling- but still.

Their phones will be ringing off the hook for years when the masses can't get it to work because of all the mistakes they will make.

When you push the button and get ignition only to discover that your draft is poor and smoke is coming in your house, then what?

Patapsco Mike said:
When you push the button and get ignition only to discover that your draft is poor and smoke is coming in your house, then what?

Maybe this will improve poor draft situations by priming the chimney with hot air?

Interesting idea.. not for me in any way.. above and beyond the fact that I don't own a Lopi..

I wonder how much it costs? I bought 100 super cedars in '09.. even counting "give aways" I still have half a box, and a half of one of those will do a better job, just as fast, no kindling at all, I can load the stove with firewood, and not have to reload in an hour after that whole end of the stove is down to kindling coals already.

While I certainly don't have draft issues... the same thought occurred to me.

Todd said:
Patapsco Mike said:

Maybe this will improve poor draft situations by priming the chimney with hot air?

I don't need that I just need to throw a bug bomb in and drop a match down the chimney!! :lol:

It is pretty cool though aw dangit I am drooling again!

Pete

How green is it really? How much fuel does it take to create the electricity to get that thing up to temp?
Seems to me a match is greener.
More hype than anything else. And yes, there will be plenty of yuppies buying that to be the "first" on their block to have it and show off to their family and friends.
Hope it ain't like a bar b q grille igniter that works great for a little while, then.... don't.
How about something really useful, like a hopper that feeds wood into the stove? ;-)

Treacherous said:

Commercial fail.

Grapefruit girl always needs to be in black and white when using the old fashioned, hard way, then switch to color when using the new fangled way.

mellow said:
Treacherous said:

Thats funny, wonder if they used the blonde on purpose or if that is just someones wife that works at lopi, nevertheless hope she is not a paid actress, Fantastic!!!

I didn't see the stove until about 1:20 min.

That's really bad audio on him for a commercial.

The problem is not that the wood wouldn't start. It was that she needed a quick lesson on how to arrange kindling for an easy start. One chunk of SuperCedar in that log cabin of kindling and she would have similar results.

mellow said:
Treacherous said:

Thats funny, wonder if they used the blonde on purpose or if that is just someones wife that works at lopi, nevertheless hope she is not a paid actress, Fantastic!!!

They always exaggerate with these ads, she doesnt know how to start a fire, stack the kindling right with a super cedar and it would be roaring in no time.

Dakotas Dad said:
Treacherous said:

Commercial fail.

Grapefruit girl always needs to be in black and white when using the old fashioned, hard way, then switch to color when using the new fangled way.

So we were just sitting here discussing women's rights and Catholicism (my wife grew up catholic) and politics... and then we watched this.

My wife wants to smack the producer who made the commercial upside the head "...the *&Úmn sexist pig... because Jesus knows that if I waited for you to start the fire we'd all be cold...I didn't know your anatomy was so important when it comes to starting a fire in the stove...".

My wife is awesome. :)

This made my night.

Actually, the lady is more than welcome to come over here and start the stove any time. I am a Baptist. :lol:

BrotherBart said:
Actually, the lady is more than welcome to come over here and start the stove any time. I am a Baptist. :lol:

AHAHAHAHAAHHAAHAHAHA!!!!!!

My favorite line was, "Tell me more about your product." That just flows so smoothly in everyday conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.