LOPI - GreenStartâ„¢ Electronic Wood Ignitor System

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like many of you all love them Super Cedars?

I got one with my stove and it worked fine and wanted to buy some more but a $50 for a box or 54 they are kind of pricey.

I have been using "Strike a Fire" starters this year and they work well. I don't split wood to kindling or anything like that. I just fill the stove with reg splits, stick one of the fire starters in there under a log and that's it.
Box of 48 which was $10 just ran out last week. Lasted about 6 months.

NATE379 said:
Seems like many of you all love them Super Cedars?

I got one with my stove and it worked fine and wanted to buy some more but a $50 for a box or 54 they are kind of pricey.

I have been using "Strike a Fire" starters this year and they work well. I don't split wood to kindling or anything like that. I just fill the stove with reg splits, stick one of the fire starters in there under a log and that's it.
Box of 48 which was $10 just ran out last week. Lasted about 6 months.

Without (hopefully) derailing this fine thread about female/blond/firestarting..

I bought a hundred pack for $60 during one of his pre-season sales. I almost always only use a 1/4 of one at a time. So that is 400 starts for $60, or .15 a piece. A couple pennies more per start than what you are using. I had already gotten a couple free from the company to try, and was going to order some when GooseRider had his accident. The response of this forum was awesome, but the owner of that company (Thomas) stepped up in a way to help someone he never met, on the opposite side of the country, who may or may not have been a customer (don't know, don't care) in a way that is uncommon today, even for neighbors. I decided then and there that I would never buy another brand.

It's kind of like the Fiskars Super Splitter... once you actually use one.. :)

Random thoughts . . .

No appeal whatsoever for me . . . I bought my woodstove for its true simplicity and ease of use regardless of whether I have power or not . . . for me I look at this as just one more thing that could fail.

That said . . . I could see how this might have great appeal for many part time woodburners.

Hmmm . . . don't think we'll see the blond winning any Oscars for her work in this production.

Hehheh . . . so much kindling . . . I typically use 3-4 pieces of kindling . . . with a quarter Super Cedar or some balled up newspaper. As others have said, it would be nearly impossible for that pile of kindling to not ignite . . .

"Amazing. That is so simple" . . . no . . . simple is a top down fire with kindling and a Super Cedar and a single match . . . and not having to wait 15 minutes for a roaring fire.

Agree with Browning Bar . . . I see lots of folks complaining about how long this system takes and how it doesn't work even though they're using "seasoned" oak in their woodstove.

Takes me a lot less time than that to get a fire started, and w/o all that kindling. Just had a power outage, and it would have been useless.
Might be good for some. YMMV

ETA: Just watched the 2nd vid. Obviously an attempt to sell. Make it look really difficult and frustrating to get a fire started with an attractive(?) female, then introduce the "new and improved" product that will allow you to keep your hair, your wife/husband, your dog won't die, your fire will start effortlessly...blah, blah, blah.........sorry, I don't need another gadget. REALLY don't need one that requires electricity to use.

Do they still make gas fired starters? It maybe was a think of the 70s or 80s but I remember seeing one before. Fill the stove (or maybe fireplace) with wood, light up the gas heat and then once the wood was burning shut it off.
USUALLY I don't have an issue with getting a fire going, but there have been a few times where it seemed like I could have dumped 10 gals of gas in the stove and even THAT wouldn't have burned.

NATE379 said:
Do they still make gas fired starters? It maybe was a think of the 70s or 80s but I remember seeing one before. Fill the stove (or maybe fireplace) with wood, light up the gas heat and then once the wood was burning shut it off.
USUALLY I don't have an issue with getting a fire going, but there have been a few times where it seemed like I could have dumped 10 gals of gas in the stove and even THAT wouldn't have burned.

I vaguely remember something like that as well.

The gadget freak in me draws me to this product but with dry wood it's hard to get any easier with a Super Cedar.

I have often thought of someone coming up with something like this and I swore I would be the first to have it but since I got my liberty starting a fire has never been faster and easier. With half a fire starter, good dry kindling, and some small splits I can take my liberty from stone cold to 650 in 20 minutes like i did tonight. Took the house from a frigid 71 to a comfortable 83 in and hour with the stove cruising at 750 with the blower on low.

Your idea of frigid and comfortable are much to warm for me! I start opening windows when it gets in the upper 70s in the house.

NATE379 said:
Your idea of frigid and comfortable are much to warm for me! I start opening windows when it gets in the upper 70s in the house.

Me too. Yikes. I can't imagine having my house in the eighties. I'd just sleep all day.

At 82 i open doors.

Back to the original thread. I think i like my matches better.

Real neat gadget, and I could see it selling some stoves, but I do like my super cedars. Yes I can start a fire with kindling and a match, but the super cedar lets me skip past the kindling, just load and light. This gadget would require I start collecting kindling again, no thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.