Lopi hinges

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flash49

Jul 3, 2009
Virginia
I'm on my second year with my Lopi Revere and have noticed the hinges are loose. Any ideas on how to tighten them up?

Couple thoughts / questions on that -
1 - Do you mean loose as in the door doesn't seal tight on the gasket (i.e. the dollar bill test) when closed?
or
2 - Do you mean loose as in the hinge pins ride up?
or
3- Do you mean when the door is open and yes, your hinge pins are fully seated there is play in the door to wiggle it up and down a bit?

My Revere is brand new this season and I just checked, yes there is a little bit of Play in the door - example 3 - but when closed it passes the dollar bill test and is in no way loose when the door is closed.
My Lopi Patriot we had before moving was the same way.

jeeper said:
Couple thoughts / questions on that -
1 - Do you mean loose as in the door doesn't seal tight on the gasket (i.e. the dollar bill test) when closed?
or
2 - Do you mean loose as in the hinge pins ride up?
or
3- Do you mean when the door is open and yes, your hinge pins are fully seated there is play in the door to wiggle it up and down a bit?

My Revere is brand new this season and I just checked, yes there is a little bit of Play in the door - example 3 - but when closed it passes the dollar bill test and is in no way loose when the door is closed.
My Lopi Patriot we had before moving was the same way.

Number 3 is exactly what I mean. So you're saying this is normal?

flash49 said:
I'm on my second year with my Lopi Revere and have noticed the hinges are loose. Any ideas on how to tighten them up?

Look on page 24 of your manual, you might want to check the set screws on the bottom of the door shell. Mine came loose which gave the door a different feel until I tighten them back up.

Zap

Be sure to check on those door shell set screws like Zap mentioned, but yes I think a small amount of play is perfectly normal as long as it is not creating any sort of unsafe condition. While you are checking things I would also recommend putting a small amount of anti-seize on the hinge pins. It is available at just about any auto parts store and can be had in a small toothpaste type tube or a can. I buy the tube and have used it for years doing racecar work or anything where I don't want parts to rust or seize together from heat.

It is fairly simple when your stove isn't old to tap out the pins, use a q-tip to coat the pins and then pop them back in. If you need to remove the door in the future the pins will then come out easily. Also, while it is not technically a lubricant, is does, in my opinion, allow the hinges to operate freely & wear less. When you are doing it, unlike some things, less is more - you just need to give the surface a coating, not so it is all over the place. Another tip is don't get it on your hands, clothes or the carpet, because it has a way of getting everywhere and keeps rubbing off on everything!! (brake cleaner will remove it though %-P )

If it's loose at the door's hinge part then it is kinda a hard fix (cast frame, cast pin mounts, also holds the glass).. if it is loose at the stove hinge, then you can tap the rolled steel hinge more closed with a hammer, or compression with some big vise grips and alot of forearm muscle.

Status
Not open for further replies.