Lopi identification and specifications

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Perrinehead

Feb 24, 2016
Ohio
A guy is selling a lopi stove right now he is at $450 and has a blower on it and a new blower, what model is this stove and what are the specifications as far as btu heating range and is it worth his price? I currently have a stove too small to heat my 1200 sq foot house, also my stove is located downstairs in a ranch style house

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1456063057976.jpg
    FB_IMG_1456063057976.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 2,831
welcome to the forum

I am sure we will have some one along that will help identify the stove for you. In the mean time the most common questions that you are going be asked next is what stove do you have currently and how is your current chimney set up. Is your chimney 6 or 8 inches, internal to the house or external, masonry or insulated pipe. Is the downstairs (basement I am assuming) insulated or not? are you trying to heat your whole house with it?

May seem like odd questions for just asking about a stove model but all of this, I have learned, play into helping size your stove to your house.

From reading the responses to the question of whats it worth, the general consensus always seems to be what the buyer and seller agree is a fair price.

welcome to the forum

I am sure we will have some one along that will help identify the stove for you. In the mean time the most common questions that you are going be asked next is what stove do you have currently and how is your current chimney set up. Is your chimney 6 or 8 inches, internal to the house or external, masonry or insulated pipe. Is the downstairs (basement I am assuming) insulated or not? are you trying to heat your whole house with it?

May seem like odd questions for just asking about a stove model but all of this, I have learned, play into helping size your stove to your house.

From reading the responses to the question of whats it worth, the general consensus always seems to be what the buyer and seller agree is a fair price.

The chimney is set up masonry on the outside of the house, the stover i have now holds 16 inch logs at maximum was purchased 2 years ago but holds very little wood and dies out in about 2 hours, not sure exact brand at the moment, it uses 6 inch pipe but i have a reducer comming out of the chimney wall to support it, it has an 8 inch opening, downstairs is insulated and yes i would like to heat most of not all of my house with the stove, thank you for your help

A guy is selling a lopi stove right now he is at $450 and has a blower on it and a new blower, what model is this stove and what are the specifications as far as btu heating range and is it worth his price? I currently have a stove too small to heat my 1200 sq foot house, also my stove is located downstairs in a ranch style house
Looks like an M-380, it will have 4 bricks across the back.

I had some time this morning so I did a little googling for you... this is what I found. If it is a 380, there is an archive on the lopi website which has the manual for the stove.

http://www.lopistoves.com/TravisDocs/93508000.pdf

Unfortunately it doesn't provide any details as to what size firebox, or "expected" btu outputs.

If you do a search there are several posts already here on the 380 to give you more info, one member posted offering in the 350 range for one so you may be on to something.

I have a Lopi insert. It came with the house and they are good stoves but dated and not real efficient. At least my insert isn't. The free standing would be better for sure. They will push some heat for what they are. There was a guy locally on CL that had an insert just like mine asking $550. It sold I assume because the ad was only around about a week and then taken off. Personally, I would not pay $550 for one now but they are good old stoves for the most part.

They are pre-EPA but were somewhat ahead of the game for their time. Mine has a secondary air damper and a fire brick shield at the top. Burn times are not great though. Mine has a 2.7 cubic ft firebox IIRC. The people I bought this place from used it as primary heat believe it or not. Since then the house has changed and grown drastically so it is no longer used. Haven't fired it the last two winters anyway. It is still in place for back up though or an occasional fire to view in that room. Still installed as the original slammer so I'm not big on using it but did a lot when I bought this place 14 years ago. Chimney and all is in great shape so I have no worries but if I want to use it more I will run a liner and have to make an adapter for that.

Looks like the stove pictured is indeed a M-380 like Osage said. Looks like he has the bigger version of that stove. I like mine and may pull it and modify it some for better burns. Not sure though. The price the seller is asking is a bit steep for my likes but it is hard to find a good old stove for anything less than $500 around here. Some deals come along and I have also seen many crusty old beaters I wouldn't want for free in the $500 plus range. I'd offer $300 and see what they say and emphasize that it is out dated and not and EPA stove. Worth a shot.

Looks to be in good shape so really you need to decide what it would be worth to you. Look around on CL and stuff to see what is out there around you and how much. Really $450 I guess is not a terrible price but high in the sense that it is older and for just a little more you can get into a new stove. That said if you can get a deal on it the stove would be a good option used and old for the right deal and what you want it for. Depends but you can also factor in the value of a good old classic well made stove. They were pretty pricey new from what I understand.

I replaced my squirrel cage blower and it cost me $130 bucks about 10 years ago doing it myself so you know what that is worth. I had to match it up at an electrical HVAC shop. A-1 Electric in NKY just about 3 miles south of Cincinnati, OH. I'd say that it would heat 1,200 SQ FT but you will be loading it up before bed and likely wake up to a cold stove 7-8 hrs later.

Good Luck! Let us know what you decide to do.

Last edited:
I had some time this morning so I did a little googling for you... this is what I found. If it is a 380, there is an archive on the lopi website which has the manual for the stove.

http://www.lopistoves.com/TravisDocs/93508000.pdf

Unfortunately it doesn't provide any details as to what size firebox, or "expected" btu outputs.

If you do a search there are several posts already here on the 380 to give you more info, one member posted offering in the 350 range for one so you may be on to something.
Based on the firebrick layout the 380 appears to be about a 2.0 cu ft stove.

Based on the firebrick layout the 380 appears to be about a 2.0 cu ft stove.
Thank you guys for the responses, I am still talking with the gentleman on this stove and will let you all know what I decide, just weighing my options at the moment

Do you have a different stove in mind that you are also considering? Also you never mentioned what stove you have in there now

Status
Not open for further replies.